Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK Residents of Small Minnesota Town Push Back Against Possible Whites-Only Church | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

If you visit the website of the “Asatru Folk Assembly,” it makes clear it’s an “ancestral religion” that honors the “spirit of our gods.” Seems harmless enough.

If you keep reading, though, you see this:

If the Ethnic European Folk cease to exist Asatru would likewise no longer exist. Let us be clear: by Ethnic European Folk we mean white people… Asatru is not just what we believe, it is what we are. Therefore, the survival and welfare of the Ethnic European Folk as a cultural and biological group is a religious imperative for the AFA.
snytiger6 9 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This reminds me of a Dave Allen joke.

A black guy tries to go into a whites-only church. The pastor stops him and says "Go away and pray for guidance"
The black guy comes back next week and the pastor stops him again. "I told you to go away and pray for guidance"
"I did," says the black guy "and God spoke to me"
"God spoke to you?"
"Yes he did sir"
"What did he tell you?"
"He said man you got some nerve trying to get your black ass into that church when I've been trying for years and I ain't made in there yet"

Fuck all religions!

Good on them for standing up to this nonsense.

On my first job, off the farm and after HS, I worked with a Hungarian fellow (dressed like a beatnik in 1973) who, when not complaining about the U.S. not helping Hungary in 1957 had a lot of interesting ideas (especially for a very WASP area). One idea of his was to make it a law that everyone had to marry someone from another race so that, in time, everyone would be a mix.

Funny you should say that. My mother (born in 1927) who absolutely forbid any hint of racism in our white privileged home used to say that interracial mating was how we would eradicate racism.

Funny thing, just this year in the one wing of Trumpers in my extended family, the eldest grandchild married a wonderful young African American man and they had the most adorable baby girl and she looks just like him. The other good news is that this young couple has broken with their immediate family tradition and votes Democrat.

Your friend's law wouldn't be enforceable but the sentiment is desirable.

I view this as nothing more than desperation. These people are desperate and are incapable of dealing with reality.

Organized Religion in all forms can’t disappear soon enough!!

Let them believe what they will, so long as they keep it among themselves.

No. Bigotry is insidious.

@LovinLarge Yes it is, but the Constitution is quote clear.

@jeshuey The Constitution is subject to interpretation daily although I'm not aware of where it justifies bigotry.

@LovinLarge Popular speech doesn't require protection, and no...the freedom of speech and religion clauses have generally been interpreted pretty consistently for more thab 100 years.

@jeshuey I'm willing to look at your evidence that supports those two factual claims.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.