Agnostic.com

9 11

White women earn 79 cents for every dollar a white man earns in a full time year round position. Minority women earn even less, i.e., 54 cents for spanish and latino women. How do you feel about that?

TheoryNumber3 8 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are a whole lot of things go consider aside from averaging across the entire job market, that make those figures questionable at best. While many companies will simply pay a woman less, there are a large number of companies , that for decades, have paid certain people more as an incentive to stay. It is still commonplace to pay someone who is a primary head of household with kids more than any single person , male or female, since they consider these people more stable and more likely to be there for the long haul and not risk job hopping, while single people and women who don't really need the job, have a nasty habit of bailing at the slightest thing causing the company to spend a ton constantly training new people. It is also quite common for companies to pay women who are single mothers or head of household MORE than their male counterparts ( had an ex who worked for one and it was one of the largest companies in the country. It was not performance based, but based on retention and she was being paid roughly 30-35% more than most of her male counterparts) but they don't dare speak of this public ally as it opens them up to all kinds of problems. The current ratio of female to males in colleges clearly shows that within the next 10+ years females will likely outnumber males in professional fields ( they already do in some places ). Don't look at this as excusing the bad actors. My late Grandma was a real live Victorian suffragette. We were raised a bit different than most. But sometimes you have to step back and look at the big picture.

[statista.com]

Here is the evidence to support the meme:

[payscale.com]

[cnbc.com]

[doughroller.net]

Let's see the evidence to support your contrary claims.

I’m from Ala fucking bama, I’ve heard all the excuses, they don’t work anymore.

@Willow_Wisp like I said, I'm not excusing the bad actors. In Alabama of any red state, chances of getting a fair shake from any regionally owned business are somewhere between slim and none, but there are many companies attempting to do the right thing.

@wolf041 Yet another unsubstantiated claim.

@wolf041 Thank you for delving deeper and crafting an explanation beyond that of a link with ‘statistics.’ My degreed daughters (still in their twenties) show no sign of facing discrimination of any kind. I’m sure it occasionally happens, and when it does, that company loses a stellar employee to their competition.

This is stupid, and in many places you can get fired for telling anyone else how much you're paid.
This isn't going to end before it's illegal to not publish exactly how much everyone in a company is paid.
That's a hard sell in slave states, I mean "right to work states", they always name their policies to sound like they're the exact opposite of what they actually do.

I feel pissed off.

It is unequal and in many cases unfair. Everyone should not expect identical pay, after all ability, seniority and experience should also count, but therefore, in some cases women should earn more than men.

Sounds fair to me. I can easily envision 21% of the job market requiring the physical strength of a male. That’s of course lessened over time with mechanization, but will likely forever add an additional percentage of pay due to health risks and physical wear & tear...

Varn Level 8 Oct 17, 2020

I doubt that the physical strength issue comprises the bulk of the inequity. Here's a chart of the variance between men's and women's salaries in different industries, and as you can see, the largest disparities occur in white collar industries. In the construction industry, for example, there's practically no variance, but in the finance and insurance industry, it's huge!

[statista.com]

That is why male white supremacy must be ended!!!

You can thank the wealthy and their corporations for this great inequality!!

Just like in this coming election it has always been divide and conquer!!!

As long as they keep everyone divided into groups and types they can control our way of life, our wages, our health, and what our education is really worth!!!

Just wrong

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 16, 2020

I worked as a Union bus driver. All our drivers made exactly the same hourly wages for the same work. Join and support Unions.

They're trying to get rid of the unions. The corporations are running the country now

@TheoryNumber3 They've been trying to get rid of them for more than half a century. Right to work laws have weakened them further. But they are still around in certain industries. They certainly don't have the clout they did back in the early 1900's, but I have never heard of a contract that was gender biased. You do the work, you get the pay. And they have moved to non traditional areas, such as medical personnel and some office employees rather than all blue collar.
But you are right, industry hates them and like Republicans get people to vote against their self interest, companies love to divide and drive unions out.

@Barnie2years what's funny is the repugs always try to say the unions will ruin us, but in countries with strong unions, they have a much higher overall standard of living than the US.

It's obscene and unjustifiable. It's also the reason I don't blame some women for considering a man's income to constitute part of his attractiveness or even wishing to be financially supported by a man. Thanks for asking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.