Agnostic.com

26 8

I have always thought that A. Evil is a bad thing by definition and should not be supported or empowered. And I had assumed, without giving it all that much thought, that B. Most people agreed with A. I still don’t see a problem with A, although I am not a philosopher; perhaps I have overlooked something. But both history and the condition of these disunited States at this time show that B is wrong and incredibly naive. But has anyone made a convincing argument against A? Not that I know of. Someone from among its opponents should work up the nerve, or whatever it takes, to try. Unless—and here, I think, is a distinct possibility—the current iteration of anti-A is coming from a place beneath argument or logic, namely a deep-seated death wish for both oneself and all of humanity. Whatever you think of Friedrich Nietzsche, he did sound a warning about nihilism, and he wasn’t wrong.

AlanCliffe 6 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nietzsche is dead. Evil is a thing, I believe, but it's subjective (as moral things tend to be). One person's Russian agent is another's prophet (albeit a false one). Our present day situation is evil, in my opinion, and that has never won the day in human history because it consumes itself. The aftertaste is never pleasant, either.

I think the difficulty now is that it CAN win the day. It may consume itself in the process, but that will be small comfort in the context of a ravaged planet, large parts of which will be too hot for human habitation, with many, many former cities under water.

@AlanCliffe I think this, or at least something similar, was inevitable. Mike Judge explained how and why in Idiocracy, and nothing I've seen makes me think he wasn't dead on. People literally don't believe in science and facts anymore. How do you come back from that? You can't. And it will get exponentially worse as the people that believe those things generally reproduce in greater numbers than those that don't.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.