Agnostic.com

36 7

Is it possible to be an atheist and not even try to be?

Okay so I have this family member who is very religious, but they know I've never really been for religion at all, and she told me that what would really make her happy is to see me get my life to the Lord and to start living for him. Well, I've read the bible plenty of times and each time I read it, it just doesn't seem like this is a sacred book at all. To be honest, it feels like I'm reading a fictional book with crazy Bronze Age rules and nothing more. I've tried hard to believe in the God of the bible and I really just can't. Not because I don't want to, but I can't bring myself to believe in him. There's just no way this God is real. He's way too petty and vindictive. He was making mistakes since the creation story when he made everything perfect, but turned out Adam and Eve messed up his plan by rebelling. He would have known that was going to happen way before he created them. The deal with lucifer. Lucifer was his favorite, most beautiful angels, but I'm sure God would have already know he was going to rebel and then turn evil. The whole thing just doesn't make any since. Feels like I'm reading a dark age book with lots of plot holes. Maybe it is alright to read for entertainment, but nothing more lol.

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To me, atheism is Freedom! Believers must follow a lot of arbitrary rules to "Be right with gawd"....and, apparently, send their money off to somebody on TV. I spend very little, if any time, thinking about what I Must do (other than pay my bills on time, feed the dogs, etc). In fact, before I found this excellent group, I wasted None of my time thinking "what if"? Now i am taking an enjoyable side trip i guess.
Dump those chains, loose those shackles! Change the subject immediately when she, or anyone, starts in...."Hey, how about those Patriots!"

I think it's possible yes..in fact, I think it's natural. As a child, I questioned everything. My first memory of my family is the fact that, even though they all claim to be God-loving and fearing, they were some of the most angry, hateful people I knew.

I think we're all born atheists. It's our default setting. Anything else has to be taught.

If not for the various religions around the world, most of us would be atheists by default.

I think that is how I started... not trying to be one or another... not choosing sides... I just be... and one they I noticed where I was standing... No Regret. Funny thing... it was never a struggle or dilemma. Painless.

That is Kind of how I came to simply be "Agnostic" myself.

twill Level 7 Dec 13, 2017

I don't think people are born atheists. They have done phycological experiments on children that suggest kids are theistic by nature.

I'm like my dogs as far as religion goes and basically always have been so yes it is easy but I was never brought up in an overly religious family or surrounding.

animals do it without knowing

Depends on what definition you're using for atheist. The Oxford Dictionaries dot com says, "A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods." Meaning both those who disbelieve in God (are convinced there is no God) and those who lack belief (are unconvinced there is a God). There is a distinction. An atheist is both convinced there is no god and unconvinced god exists but typically an agnostic is not convinced there is no god but only unconvinced god exists. This definition is saying not only are agnostics atheists but there is also a sub category of atheists who believe there is no god called... atheists. However the Dictionary dot Cambridge dot org defines atheist as, "someone who believes that God does not exist" so someone who is convinced God does not exist and not necessarily also those just unconvinced God exists. This definition is just for someone who is convinced god does not exist but not necessarily those who are unconvinced god exists. So by the first dictionary definition the Oxford Dictionaries dot com you could be undecided or indifferent or oblivious or skeptical and be considered an atheist. But I personally use the 2nd dictionary definition from Dictionary dot Cambridge dot org, I am a skeptic and do not consider myself an atheist.

Same here.. But u can be an athiest.. Its up to ur will power.
I m an Indian from a very religious family..
am the only agnostic athiest driven by my rational thots..
So it shud be OK for u too..
I feel always convinced amidst a big opposition too..
good part s my daughter just follow my way of life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5453
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.