Agnostic.com

6 2

Should this man be supported or educated?

Shamanistic song.

FrayedBear 9 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@LovinLarge why the angry emoji?

I have just commented below but @t1nick explained it better than I did.

@LovinLarge no one has but you follow your atheism.

Um. Here in my neck of the woods the Native Peoples try to education and pass along their culture. Had the Navajo not kept alive their language alive we would not have had the code talkers some 400 or so who were in the Marines and who improved the speed of encryption and decryption of communications in front line operations during World War II.

That is different to believing in the woo suggested in the song. See remark below.

The woo is a problem and apparently about to get a lot worse here in the U.S. with barrett being confirmed to the Supreme Court. 😟

He’s fine, he can be as free as he wants to be.
It sounded like several people were entertained.
He preserves something of the vanishing culture of his people, he should be studied for his significant insights that we may understand him more.
It’s not about changing minds, it’s about freeing them.
I don’t give a damn what you believe until you believe you have to affect my government so my government is going to make my life miserable, or when they demand to have a say in the public schools that lowers the quality of education, then we have a problem.

I was led to believe that your US education system has been very much influenced for the worse, as mine was, by proselytising god botherers.

@FrayedBear You're thinking of the guys that wear suits, and talk about Jesus on TV.

@Willow_Wisp have a read of the article at "I don't know about an enquiry into Murdoch - one should be made into this guy?". I also read that your country today has just signed some treaty making abortion illegal - that only happens because of religious not secular action.

Nice little song, whats wrong with that, why would he need education ? Why would he need support?

Like the religious he believes in the unseen.

@FrayedBear No indication of that from the song, and I still like the sound of Christian plain song, even though I do not believe a word of what it says.

And if he does believe, then shamanic beliefs are far less of a threat and menace to the world than theists. It can in fact be part of the route from theism, through paganism, spiritualism, deism, etc. to agnostic that many people take. First step on the ladder.

@Fernapple from YouTube:
"During Sommelo, Ethno Music Festival 2019 in Yushkozero, Russia, Hivshu did a short performance, where he presented the traditional Arctic Inughuit Native Culture. In this video Hivshu sings Qajorannguaq. - Shaman song.

"My old man, Qaaqqutsiaq told me about the young man, Qajorannguaq. He was a child at age of 9-10 when the missionaries arrived. He was orphaned when he was 7-8 years old. He slept among the dogs if he was not invited to the house to sleep. The great-grandmaster shaman Hoqqaq was observing him when he knew he was the coming great shaman. As a child Qajorannguaq was very humble and apologized for being inconvenient for others when anyone told him to go inside to sleep in the house with them. He felt he was only troubling people.
He was a promising great shaman that Hoqqaq trained him to become a shaman. This is his song, his shaman's song. Very humble song just like his person.
He died very young. His helpers took his soul with them to the stars when he was not meant to be on earth if he couldn’t do his call as a Shaman because of the Christians didn’t allow Shamans to do their work.""
Isn't "His helpers took his soul with them to the stars" the same story of JC rising from the grave?

@FrayedBear Interesting story, thank you, that is a lot better than your short comment on the original.

@Fernapple it is what is available to all who listened to the song on YouTube - from the app simply press on the avatar in the top left of the YouTube screenlinked & it will open in YouTube itself, then press the title etc. "Hivshu - Shaman song, Qajorannguaq." for it to fully open & where it can be read.

@FrayedBear No, that is not available on my device. Anyway, a shaman is like a community elder and is highly regarded within his community and similar communities.

Also, if I want to be free to believe what I choose, I must want it for this man also, even if what he chooses to believe is not supported by fact.

@LovinLarge I've reproduced the translation for you.

@FrayedBear And I've presumed your reproduction to be accurate. You're still judging a cultural practice by the standards of another culture, ethnocentrism by definition.

Your posing question outwardly smacks of ethnocentricism and cultural racism. If he is a shaman, in his culture he is considered educated.

Perhaps not in the white college academic way, but perhaps within his culture, he has committed to learning the learning the traditional teachings. It may not be scientific in the way we recognize medicine or healing. But he provides comfort to those which still hang to the traditional cultural ways. Remember, most modern medicines began as traditional medicines and cures.

Of course this is all speculative as I do not know this individual or his story. But the way the initial question was asked presumed a lot of things that were unfair and quite possibly untrue.

Thank you very much for handling that so well, my brother.

No it simply smacks of atheistic understanding & cynicism. Please read my reply to @Fernapple

he seems very educated to me

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545948
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.