Agnostic.com

16 6

LINK Religious Leaders Lash Out at Pope Francis for Supporting Civil Union Laws | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

This week, in a new documentary, Pope Francis expressed his support for civil unions for same-sex couples. It’s both a big deal for the head of the Catholic Church to say that gay people deserve at least legal rights if not Church recognition… and also disappointing that this is the best the pope can do.

But it didn’t take long for other Church leaders to chime in and remind the world that the Catholic Church remains a bigoted institution.

snytiger6 9 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The boss might not always be right, but he is always the boss, or in the case of the Pope infallible as respects church dogma. (even better)

Tough shit bishops, dogma says pope is infallible in matters of the church.

Regardless of civil union or who lives with who, they want to claim a right to go into your home and remove "uncle Charlie" because they have found out who he really is and you are not related at all. This is the desire of "the bedroom police." This type of thought comes when the religious neighbors start talking. What the Pope is trying to do is set up legalities that can lead into law involving property inheritance and other related things. This is needed. Many of us can remember when marriage finally went the ways of "common law." People hated the way that went too because god and the bible, and even the circuit clerk were not involved. Hmm. Someone got cheated out of a tax somewhere.

I thought he was the religious leader.

Isn't the Pope infallible?

Does a bear shit in the woods?

He's the leader.. They should listen to him.

That’s true........always blindly follow the leader!!

Expected that

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 23, 2020

Of course they are.
🙄

"For Pope Francis to attempt to normalize homosexuality is to say that Holy Scriptures are false, that our sins really don’t matter, and that we can continue living in them. If that were true, then Jesus Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection wouldn’t have been needed."

Bingo!

I'm not a Bible scholar but I have been told that the New testament does not refer to homosexuality in any way.
I obviously don't know what I'm talking about because good old wiki since my statement is false.[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@Lorajay The New Testament doe srefer to homosexuality, but Jesus himself never commented on it. It was one of the apostles... can't remember the name, it was the Roman who persecuted Christians until he supposedly had a vision and converted. He never met Jesus himself.

However, I think when he wrote about homosexuality being an abomination he was referring to the pagan temple rituals which involved homosexual acts for money, which was not an uncommon Roman custom of the time.

How anyone could have expected kindness and understanding from them is beyond me.

Pope Frank is going to alienate a lot of his buddies in the Islamic world.

Well so far they have not said anything.

That must mean he’s moving in the right direction!

I sincerely doubt it.
As is usual, imo, he is either, i) bending to the will of needing to attract more 'suckers' in to the church to fill the gaps left by those who have left the ranks ( most likely imo), ii) getting the early signs of dementia ( a possibility), or, and even more likely, iii) merely dribbling more Ecclesiastical Excrement.

@Triphid Up until the 13th Century, the catholic church did have a civil union like ceremony for (rich) gay men. (See "Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality" by John Boswell, University of Chicago Press)

He's grasping at straws trying to save his religion. The younger people are turning away from religion, and I doubt they will make their children go to church.

I'm thinking of Africa and its potential to reduce attacks on gay people fomented by the religious.

This shows exactly why people, especially Gen.Z and millennials, are abandoning this bullshit. But we all know what the future holds for this, Desperation reeks.

F*ck those religious leaders. T

Total losers. A mad dog deserves better treatment.

At least he's trying to be more open minded, despite what he does for a living.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:546101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.