Agnostic.com

18 12

LINK We like you Joe Biden, but your incessant Catholic god-talk is NOT a unifying gesture : atheism

R/atheism page about Joe Biden and his Catholicism

Hages 7 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He's just trying to extend the olive branch to the center right. We can't get this country back on track without involving some semi-sane religious right. The far-left, all-or-nothing approach will not work.

Like always... Well Said.

Hey man, you're a Trump fan but it doesn't keep you from being a good atheist. Or does it?

I’m pagan. Not anti-Christianity. BUT, Catholics don’t believe in birth control! That’s anti-environmental and causes poverty

As an outsider I'm sure that most of the country must be delighted to have a new president who has a sense of responsibility towards his fellow citizens. According to news reports here Joe Biden is taking positive steps in tackling the coronavirus, unlike his predecessor who prefers to line his pockets and play golf.

I for one do not envy Joe Biden because his irresponsible predecessor left a mess to clear up. Joe Biden has formidable tasks in the days, months and years ahead. Perhaps a little patience is in order here....

Although Joe Biden is very strong in his faith. He has never supported any bills that are based on any specific religion because it would against his oath to follow and protect our Constitution. That said, there are plenty of folks out there that are also strong in their faith. He knows he needs to try to bring some of the most conservative into the fold. Which is why, from time to time, he will continue to let his words of faith slip out. Me personally, I don't have a problem with him or others invoking faith if that is what it takes to appease the Bible thumpers. I am more concerned about our government being able to get passed what is best for all folks that live in the Country regardless of religion or anything else that tends to separate us.

Speak for yourself atheist.... I am Not at War with Church or Religion.

ah let him. he is just trying to reassure the hysterical that he isn't going to come for their guns and bibles. he supports roe v wade; whatever else he is into personally he's not forcing the rest of us to be into it too. i am okay with that. yeah i'd prefer an open atheist but realistically, aren't there seven states that still forbid atheists to run for public office? i'd rather work on changing that than changing the personal beliefs of one public servant who isn't legislating, adjudicating or executing those beliefs onto us.

g

"Incessant Catholic god-talk".......?????? Wow you trumpets are sore losers!

@Hages yeah, and.......?

@AnneWimsey trump supporters can't visualize a leader who is altruistic. The whole concept of altruism is out-of-scope for them.

Biden is far from ideal, but anything is better than the (expletive deleted) that is disgracing the office now.

He may talk like a catholic but his deeds don't.

What are you talking about "his deeds"? Have you been listening to some folks on the right?!? Tisk tisk 😛

@Maximai no, he is pro choice and has always been prochoice, catholics are not. He is for separation of church and state, catholics want to legislate religiously. Open your eyes, not just your mouth.

While Biden may talk about his faith and how it helped him cope with loss and offers hope for him personally, he also seems very welcoming to all who get by with another or no faith.

To me, Biden is far more acceptable than Trump (who is likely an atheist) holding up a bible he's never read while living an immoral and unethical life.

Biden has a moral compass that comes from a deeper place than just a book or a church. Trump has no moral compass, but can get away with unethical actions by holding up a book he's never read. I'll take the more decent and compassionate man, as our leader, regardless of faith.

I wonder is The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli Donald Trump's favourite reference book....

@ASTRALMAX too many words, silly......

Wasn't there a law about separation of church and state?

yes but biden isn't talking catholicism from the state pov, or for the state. he is just talking about his own relationship with his belief system, and not urging us all to share it, and more importantly he is not legislating, adjudicating or executing it onto us. he's fine. he's just talking about his personal experience. trump hasn't GOT any personal experience to share unless he wants to tell us how he cheats at golf (or on his wives).

g

While I can agree with you I have to ask you a few questions. Biden claims to be a Christian and is Catholic right? This means he is a believer and so are the majority of people who voted for him or Trump. If the majority are believers this would be those whom Biden is wanting to address. So, what is the problem? Do you want Biden to be a Seventh Day Adventist or do you want him to also include atheists? I think what Biden is trying to do is to unify people so the nation can go on with healing. If both political parties modify themselves this might be possible. If not, we go on again in the future with the same old anger as before. I hope this helps you somewhat.

It's fine.

I don't want to hear him talk about it either but "incessant" is not a fair characterization.

I think it's all pandering platitudes and pablum from Biden.

This is a secular nation, no problem if he is religious, big problem if he thinks it belongs in govt

He doesn't. From what I have gathered, he is as firm believer in the separation of church and state.

@Joanne just never heard him talk about it, might be tricky with the stacked SCOTUS

@Canndue Yeah, that is concerning. I find it hard to trust any republican politician. Gotta watch what they do, not so much what they say. They are Kings of Bait 'n switch, after all. The best we can hope for is that Roberts can keep the radical right-wingers, on the court, in line with the Constitution, and what is best for the majority.

In 2005, Biden told The News Journal (Wilmington, Del.): "This is a nation founded on the idea of the separation of church and state. After 200 years, why the hell would you want to start messing with that?"

No we don't like it but its something we have to tolerate. Like it or not we're outnumbered and we have to live with that for now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:550934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.