Agnostic.com

7 5

Each red spot has more population then all the gray combined.
Yet people living in the gray have disproportional representation in National politics.
This is not how you run a Democracy.

Willow_Wisp 8 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good point

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 11, 2020

Compare California and Wyoming. California is mostly red and Wyoming has no red, yet both states each have two Senators.

Perhaps we need a constitutional amendment changing the number of senator possibilities to 2 or three, depending on population.

I'm going to say something that will set myself up for a blast of disagreements.
I think our current system is definitely unfair to the urban voters. I also think one vote per person would completely ignore the different needs of rural Americans. No I do not have a solution but we need to come up with one that does solve this dilemma if we ever hope to get the problem solved.

Interesting that they colored the urban areas red on their map. I can see that using blue would cause a lot of people to ignore it as election time propaganda, but why not use a neutral color like orange or something. Ha, ha.😋

Orange is, well just nasty.

2 senators in Wyoming, 2 senators in California. Also if Trump can bring Biden's total down to 269 by promoting faithless electors he could steal the election that way, with more GOP legislatures in these small states. It's not likely but it's in realm of remote possibility.

That's not the only way, either.

@JeffMurray He won't flip any states with a recount. He won't get state legislatures to assign new electors, ALMOST impossible. SCOTUS won't overturn the election. He could mount an armed insurrection, a military coup d'etat. The one way I mentioned above is also possible. Do you have any other theories? I hope we are both wrong.

@barjoe While I hope it's not likely, all of those are possible. Given the findings of V-Dem, (an organization that monitors the health of democracies around the world) mainly that only 20% of democracies that get to the point we're at now remain a democracy, I would say the coup is most likely. I read article recently that stated that America is primed and ready to be taken over by autocratic rule, but that Donald Trump is likely too stupid and ineffective to be that autocrat. Autocratic rule that rises from a democracy usually has overwhelming support of the people at least at first. He could have managed the pandemic better, provided better economic relief from the associated hardships, not shit on beloved leaders, not told counties they weren't important enough to visit, basically not been a vile shitbag every fucking day of his presidency, and he'd have EASILY had 4 more years to transform our institutions to ready his permanent leadership. (Remember, it only took Hitler about 3 years or so, but he was obviously way smarter and an infinitely better speaker.) If he does not manage to take over the US now, I would be exactly 0% surprised if the United States was a dictatorship some time between 2025-2033. I think one of the biggest things that will support that happening is that almost everyone thinks the "world's oldest and greatest democracy" couldn't possibly ever crumble, so all the little changes that need to happen won't really alarm the vast majority of people, and the few people that speak out trying to warn everyone will just be Chicken Littles.

@JeffMurray The military coup d'etat bothers me too. He's made changes at DOD putting crazy people in place that may try and pull this off. If it's unsuccessful but they actually try it, that might be a good thing. If it's successful, we're doomed.

@barjoe I completely agree.

No, but the "founding fathers" didn't seek a democracy (for the most part). A sad legacy enshrined in the constitution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551797
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.