Agnostic.com

17 0

What are my fellow atheists views on charity and assisting the poor?

Most religions ascribe to assisting those without economic means or social power. Although, they often fail to follow through with this goal. How do we feel about this ideal and do we actually act on our follow through with this lofty goal?

MichaelFilson 4 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am all for charities. Not making them sit through sermons on how this is "God's" work is the real charity. Xtians always seem to use their charity as a tool to push the "Word" of there fictional god.

I see it is generally assumed if you are not a church person, you can't see giving to others. To assist others with life. What I see is different. Some of the most giving did it because it was just the right thing to do. The human condition is that life is not always fair. Not because some diety is deciding who deserves more or less than others. That some get more and others get less. We help our neighbor because they are our neighbor. It is the right thing to do. Society and life in general is better because we do the right thing. Doing to win points for an after life doesn't help our lives here and now. I give whatever I can to help everywhere. I also tip better than the average because the person deserves that tip. So it makes life better in general.

It's a privilege. I qualify as low income, but still jump at the opportunity to share with those less fortunate than myself. It's a special kind of high.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

I help animals

people are doing just fine at nearly 8 billion

If you would hope for a stranger to help you in a moment of need, be that stranger for someone else. If you execute a kind act, with kind intent, then kindness exists... only then, can you be sure.

I avoid the holidays because thats when all the folks who want to get on TV do their giving and make a big fuss over it but when those holidays are over there are still homeless that need items like warm socks, soap, gloves, hats etc/ I usually can get alot of that stuff on sale in the spring and hang onto until winter and then pass things out. I make my own soap and hand some of that out as well in gallon zip locks, usually they have a bar of soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, a $1.00 deordorant, a comb, that sort of thing and if I can get them cheap some AA batteries, it is cold weather socks/gloves/hat. Other times I have food like a sandwich or veges from my garden. Im not all that well to do myself but I do help with what little I can.

I give around 5% of my income to a few charities but more importantly I try to tackle the issues that I beleive sre the cause of people needing charities in the first place

@Fanburger really? they're many but as an example I donate to Buddhist Global Relief which supports all kinds of projects geared towards lifting people out of poverty by providing them with education and the resources they need to provide for themselves.
I give to 'lend with care' which provides loans to people that wouldn't otherwise be able to access finance so they are able to develop their businesses.
Here in Cornwall in the UK we are almost surrounded by the sea and I'm a keen water user so i donate to our voluntary air ambulance service and our lifeboat service
I like a broad mix in my giving 🙂

I help whenever I can. The religious do not have a monopoly on helping the less advantagious. When I was homeless, I didn't stop a philathropic person from giving and ask them their religion, it wasn't important. It was their love of humanity that compells them to give, not the imaginary sky-friend.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I rejected religion because I was involved in a charity group (Children Int'l.) that I saw as extremely self-serving to the point of actually making the poverty worse (family planning was actually discouraged yet the number of reciprients was skyrocketing). Many, many charities don't take a long term view and do make problems worse and I now question each and every charity. Basically, I won't give to any charity that makes people dependant on the charity giver (the usual adage about giving a fish and teaching to fish does apply). The only charities I give to are those that support systems in which all life forms (including humans) live. Groups as FFRF, Nature Conservancy, EngenderHealth/Planned Parenthood, Gun Control groups and many local ones (money and time) to name a few. I strongly believe that if one gives to something and it makes them feel good that becomes a personal reward and as such, is closed to any critical thinking processes. It has to do good not feel good.

As a group we serve lunch once a month at our local homeless shelter. We also help out at the women's center. We also gather clothes for the homeless. And we clean up a two mile section of a road. Our motto is doing good without god!

BillF Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I think assisting the poor is not determined by religion or non-religion. You either have a giving heart or you don't.
Usually though throwing money at a problem has never solved it. If you build housing or donate food to charity you are still not addressing the root cause of poverty.

for me it was never about any religion, but i grew up poor, so i know how hard it can be. but i do have some general guide lines i try 2 follow. i try not 2 give money unless i know a bit more about their personal situation, instead, i pack meals, cloths, toiletries, blankets, and the occasional sweet treat, or a good book, or some cheap art suplies. i do this around my small town and also make a trip once a year in2 seattle when it starts 2 get colder. i like 2 sit down and just chat with them, i know it doesnt seem like much, and not all of them want 2, but i remember being poor and watching all the other people walk by and thinking they were so much better than me that we were like 2 different species, i imagined that they must speak some other language, we were so different. it was really nice when one of them treated you like an equal. 3. i like 2 make sure that they have help for their companions, and while i cannot afford 2 pay the vet bills, i have become fairly close with several vets, and can usually manage 2 get them some kind of help. sometimes thats all they have left. for a few years in my small town, before the places were sold, i had worked it out with a few businesses that our homeless folks could go around and gather a bag of garbage, turn it in, and in return they were allowed, as long as they were respectful, 2 use the restroom 2 clean up, shave, brush their teeth, that kind of thing, one store had a fire place and they could sit by it and warm themselves. most other businesses run them off now, so it was a nice compromise.

Byrd Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Charity, poverty, ownership and wealth are artificial concepts. Neanderthals helped each other out. We knew this millenia ago.That is a normal hominid response. Creating a class distinction that attributes shame to need isn't.

@Renickulous I absolutely disagree

@Renickulous I'm sure you beleive that but i can't find any evidence to support it. Capitalism was not 'discovered' it was created and created by violence and theft. It works extremely well but for very few people.

@Fanburger Nope they interbred and became us

@Fanburger, @AncientNight, @Renickulous That is incorrect. Lots of people work very hard with little or no personal profit. In fact, capitalism creates a system whereby a few profit to ridculous levels and the majority do not. In most instances in history this has meant poor working conditions, low pay, poor educational standards (an educated workforce is a dangerous one) , little or no healthcare and manufactured differences. A merit society (as in Scandanavian countries), allows for some people to create wealth but accepts that everyone must contribute to provide healthcare, education, decent housing, transport and social care for all despite their ability to pay. It works constantly to reduce inequality in society and improve the standards for all. It is already exists and already works.

@Fanburger Do not patronise me or say 'I teach' by way of expressing expertise! I am a university lecturer. I am neither cute not quaint and believe me capitalism has destroyed billions of lives. Go to Bangledesh and ask children sewing sequins on tops for 5p a day how well capitalism is working them! Oh yeah n throw em a bible by way of f##king charity!

I agree

@AncientNight, @Renickulous You know thats utter nonsense. I lived and worked in USA and encounters 100s of exceptionally hard working people burdened with huge student loan debts, mounting health expenses etc. How dare you ever say any child ever is better off working in slave labour rather than in education! As for being a communist...well its not illegal. My great grandparents were proud communists and fought their entire lives for the working poor! Actually I am not in fact a communist, if you think so and think a merit society (as I described!) is communist...read a book!

@AncientNight Sorry I meant to tag you in there. I agree. Us Vikings did tons more than rape n pillage!

@Renickulous I will NEVER go back to live in USA. The lifestyle here is much better

I have been slacking off, but my last charitable contribution was due to a suggestion that my daughter made. I bought three pairs of shoes from the Wal-Mart clearance rack and a large package of heavy socks and took them to a nearby homeless shelter.

JimG Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

All for it. You can't have Capitalism and not have poor people.

I contribute monthly to Doctors Without Borders and Foundtion Beyond Belief.

Charity begins at home if you can spare any loose change and makes a differance in some else life why not

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55180
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.