Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK UK Inquiry: Catholic Cardinal Failed to “Demonstrate Compassion” for Abused Kids | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The same panel that shone a light on the systemic clerical sex abuse problem in the Church of England has released a similarly damning report about the Catholic Church in the UK.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) discovered more than 3,000 complaints of child sexual abuse perpetrated by over 900 priests, deacons, and other Church employees between 1970 and 20. That’s just the cases they were able to find and document; the true numbers, they suspect, would be much higher.

snytiger6 9 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cardinal Vincent Nichols lack of compassion for the victims of child sexual abuse speaks volumes and depicts him as a shadow of a man, a depraved human being. Appearing shocked, like he did not know what was going on does not quite cut it in my view. If he were truly shocked he would have condemned it in the most withering terms.

I do suspect the true numbers would be much higher. Two things here about Catholicism. We have child abuse and we also have the fact that what is confessed can be used against you as well. Wait! Isn't that the same as any other religion! πŸ™‚

Actually, the Canon Law in Catholicism does NOT allow or permit what is heard in Confessions/ Confessionals to used by or in Law Cases brought about under the Laws made by man.
I.e. " All that is spoken/heard in Confession is ONLY between the Confessor, the Priest and God, ergo it is sacrosanct."
Total, utter, unmitigated BULLSHIT I know BUT that is the woman's ( my sincerest apologies to women btw) skirt they choose to hide behind.

No shit, Sherlock!

How is it that we put up with this sort of behaviour in this country?
I think that it's time that confessions were no longer secret. If people are sincerely sorry they won't mind saying so in public. And clerics who assist in covering up abuse should have the same punishment as the abuser. And if anyone disagrees, they should ask themselves what Jesus would do. That Bishop and his cronies are bloody monsters

They are all the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:552673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.