Agnostic.com

8 10

How did you change a bad habit?

"Let's not go back," my parents said and laughed. They had rowed to the middle of the lake to escape from us four teenagers yelling and arguing in the house. We lived on a lake in Michigan.

My parent's amused detachment describes my original approach to conflict. As people got more upset, I grew calmer. My rational approach incensed people. "How can you be so calm?" a woman screamed. Wow. I realized this wasn't working.

At 24, I ditched the "Ice Queen." Although I won arguments, I didn't like myself afterward.

"The Dance of Anger" by Harriet Lerner, Ph.D., taught me to stay clear, calm and connected during conflict. Talk about behavior. "When you did ( x ), I felt ( x ). I want you to do ( x ) instead."

There's a benefit to staying calm and rational. This helps me problem-solve in an emergency. In my marriage, Terry was the emotional parent and I was the calm one.

While mentoring high school students, it's important to show empathy. "Who inspired you the most and why?" was the scholarship essay question. Teresa burst into tears. Her grandmother had just died. I expressed sympathy and brought her a box of Kleenex.

But I didn't let it derail the session. "Let's work on an easier essay question," I suggested. She did. The next week, Teresa was ready to write about how her grandmother had inspired her.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I learned over years of growing up to be the calm person in any relationship.
My mother was calm, patient and meditative. Being an artist, she was always contemplating her work. I gradually became more objective, less judgmental, more open to conciliatory communication with those I found offensive. I became a teacher and put those traits into teaching my students.

@AnonySchmoose

Bravo! I feel proud of you.

@LiterateHiker
Thanks! How kind.

I like your approach to conflict. My exes couldn’t grasp that

@BudFrank

Thank you.

Dealing with conflict isn’t my string suit either. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad habit though, I do the best I can; like most people, and learn from others that have put forward theories of improvement. My father had a violent temper, my mother was super passive. I have vowed to be neither, with varying degrees of success!

Understand that it's about learning and practice. As you do this you'll make mistakes. Learn from the mistakes and how to avoid that mistake again. It's not about willpower: there is no such thing as willpower. Just continue to practice and you'll get there

@Cycklone

I agree with you up "there is not such thing as willpower."

Willpower: control of one's one's actions and impulses; self-control.(dictionary.com)

I have tremendous self-control. I choose not to drink alcohol, smoke dope, use illegal drugs, steal, lie, or cheat. I don't lash out or ridicule people, although Trump supporters appall me. Since I have a lead foot, I use speed-control to keep my car at the speed limit.

@LiterateHiker willpower is a construct like god, just because people believe it exists doesn't make it real and the dictionary defines god as well. How do you get it, how do you strengthen it, why did you have it last week but not this week, how do you measure it? It's a useless concept and if you rely on willpower and you make a mistake it's because you don't have enough willpower. The concept inhibits learning. I exclude self discipline from this, and your examples are of self discipline, not willpower, but if you're not in jail then you have enough self discipline, at least in my country. 😆 Self discipline is where you need to exert control for a brief amount of time, but willpower is some idea of being able to exert control over weeks. The well known and well understood concept of learning is a more useful concept and allows people to learn from mistakes, not feel a failure. I've noticed that people tend to use the idea of willpower for two main things, stop smoking and lose weight and what do people fail at?

Sorry for the rant LH, but I spend a lot of time on this issue with people trying to change habits.

I quit both smoking and drinking 28 years ago. There's more to it than I can give here, but changing a bad habit includes these:

1. There's no shortcut. You have to do it.
  2. Visualize yourself as a person who doesn't have that habit any more.
  3. Recognize your achievement every day and give yourself some private celebration.
  4. Don't advertise what you're changing. You don't need pressure from others or fear of public failure.

number 2 has been the most crucial and the biggest hang up for me, really interesting that visualizing yourself succeding can make or break your goals

@BitFlipper

Wise words.

Calm is how I survived an abusive relationship. He tried to kill, me and after I got away, I calmly left and worked a plan but before that calm was the only way to diffuse him when he became volatile. I'm still here, so I won. To break a bad habit, I've used tapping. It seems weird but it actually works.

[thetappingsolution.com]

I don't understand the wording in this piece at all but I will reply according to the title "How Did You Change a Bad Habit."

As a young teen my cousins and I experimented with smoking. Not unusual. Later in the Army, others there showed me how a cigarette and a beer went together. I then started smoking only when I drank once a week. Getting back into religious roots later, I decided to stop smoking 2 or maybe 3 times "for god." That did not work. You have to stop a bad habit for yourself. Then I learned that if you stop smoking a few days and start again you get higher than a kite for 10 minutes. Oh, boy. Next, I got the flu and could not smoke. Once recovered I started smoking again. About 20 years ago I got the flu a second time and could not smoke. This time around I was smart enough not to pick the cigarettes back up.

That's my flawed story of changing a bad habit (actually dropping the habit) through my whole life with it as a thing that controlled me off and on. I do not want cigarettes today and I do not miss them.

@DenoPenno

Good for you. I feel proud of you for stopping smoking.

My bad habit was a dysfunctional approach to conflict. My icy, rational calm during arguments upset people. It hurt my relationships. It was about control.

Research says that one acts his or her way into believing, not vice versa.

@wordywalt

Please clarify. People are capable of growing and changing at any age.

@LiterateHiker People are more likely to change a behavior after they try on a new behavior and find that it works for them, rather being influenced by others to change.

@wordywalt

True.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:553328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.