Agnostic.com

11 13

Abrahamic theists increasing use of Phenomonology as a viable dog in the fight.

I suppose if all they have left to support the argument is to cling to "I personally feel..." or "My personal experience..." cloaked in philosophical glamour, then they admit that the matter of god's existence is subjective. Debates should close at that very moment. Why even allow it to continue on that premise? It's not a substitute for evidence.

I personally experience the phenomena of people looking at me from yards away if I stare at them for a while. I suppose that means telepathy is real, and not the fact that casual people watching attracts reciprocal attention. Lol.

I've notice this position being used more and more as an escape hatch from being cornered, likely due to He Who Shall Not Be Named (initials JP) trying to popularize it as a valid rationale.

The philosophy on its own is respectable as a part of the human experience. Even Buddhists keep its focus on personal mindfulness to avoid distractions over skeptical speculations. Of course, christians had to try and twist it beyond meaning...

summatyme 7 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an Atheist since kindergarten I have refused all sorts of "debate" regarding religous claims.... I am not a believer. I have zero beliefs. When anybody insinuates I am obliged to debate with them I refuse to admit they employ a rational word to discuss..... "god""gott""gawds" are pure gibberish nothing more.... existence is not a debatable word ..... there is only evidence or a vacuum no 3rd possibility.... virgins don't birth alleged baby gawds every midnight December 24-25 never did never will .... I was insulted by this irrational story in 1957 as a running joke against kids wanting toys every solstice and I will return the occasion with insults of my own by saying : " are you pretending geebush geehobah ghostholes are real ? "

Islamics the do not like dogs!!!

Believers repeatedly try to use the bible as evidence, then switch this into their personal experiences, finally to put their god into another dimension where they believe he is safely protected from any attacks you might direct at him. OK, let's get real. How do you know about this other dimensional god or anything else about him?

I'm finding that both admirers and detractors of "HeWho" do a lot of twisting, a good bit of which may be innocently enough.

Among spelunkers there's a rule that when approaching a tight crawl, you send the biggest guy in first so if he gets stuck, somebody can reach him. JP crawls in some pretty tight spaces, and in terms of granular resolution, he might be one of the smallest cavers among us.

skado Level 9 Nov 18, 2020

Phenomology. Study of the Deadman, The Undertaker

Wrestling fans will laugh at this.

The People that use "I personally feel" or "In my Personal Experience" are usually backed up on their Heels(Especially when it pertains to the "God" question)... it is indeed a Escape tactic to Keep them from Furthering the Conversation. Mainly due to the Threat of their "Beliefs being Challenged" or them possibly "Losing Faith". To me, it's holds the same Merit as "It's just your/my Opinion" or "We're Entitled to our Opinions"... It goes from a Great Convo to a (Sort of) Nihilistic Approach towards the Subject to "Escape with all your limbs" (Metaphorically Speaking).

It could Stop there, then again what could we both have learn in the Conversation? People go into Convos to Win said Conversation, but miss the point of the Discussion itself. You could Challenge me on whatever I Presented as a Claim, but what's important is what I can do to Back it Up. Evidence of the Metaphysical, Mystical Experiences, to the basic "Trying to make sense of the world around us" are ways theists try to Present as their Evidence, but it can only take them so Far in a Conversation.

So, What can one do if the Convo goes Stagnant?

Try and Figure out ways to get them to think about what they have said and Presented...

This is the paradigm of the mega churches. Religion is business and power, and the power to extract what they want from those gullible who unquestionably follow their bluster and lies.
I'd love to engage more, but I'm just in from driving through storm and a shift at work. Thus, I'm rather knackered and I'm on an early shift in the morning.

JP’s “truth” 😂. I thinks it’s pure cognitive dissonance.

Mvtt Level 7 Nov 18, 2020

I will file this under my "who gives a fuck?" folder.

Your "1 fuck to respond" folder may be more accurate. 😉

@creative51 not a lot, but the content is all bullshit.

Agreed, and I am finding fewer and fewer posts that I find to be of any significance, especially from the newer members.

@summatyme that may be your folder, I don't have one with that title

All religions remind me of the following: "Collective solipsism is a cruel joke in Orwell’s book 1984. “As O'Brien patiently explains to Winston between torture sessions, Collective Solipsism is the voluntary abdication of empirical and independent thought by a large group of humans.” This falls in line with other government sponsored slogans in the book such as “War is Peace”. “Love is Hate”.

@Green_Chile_Type Yes, I just checked and you are correct.

Those who insist on being idiots will continue to be idiots for as long as it pleases them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:553868
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.