Agnostic.com

10 21

Today's hike: Don't lace your boots too tight.

Heavy snow in the Cascade Mountains closed Snoqualmie Pass for a day. Then it rained.

Today Karen and I hiked 7.5 miles with about 1,000 feet of elevation gain above Squilchuck State Park. As usual, we needed micro-spikes with ice at first. Snow got deeper as we gained elevation. We were post-holing in heavy snow up to our knees. Then we needed snowshoes. Typical of early winter hiking. Neither of us carried heavy snowshoes.

During lunch, we both got chilled because our inflatable sit-upons went flat. After one year of use, both of our REI sit-upons stopped working. It's cold sitting on snow! When I got home, I ordered a new sit-upon from a different company. Think I'll sit on a heating pad.

With high exertion, my clothes get soaked with sweat which then freezes. I didn't change at the top as planned. It's excruciating to strip and bare wet skin to freezing winds. Yes, I'm a weenie.

Descending, my feet were slopping around in my boots. I quickly stopped to tighten the laces. Because I was wearing knee-high gaiters under micro-spikes (and didn't want to take all of that off and on), I just tightened the laces savagely around my ankles, hoping the lace tension would even out. Oops.

My ankles hurt like the dickens because I cut off the circulation. We had another mile to steeply descend. These hiking boots are like lacing ice skates. You have to get it just right.

Karen is so fast on the descent, I decided to keep going. "Keep up!" I ordered myself. By the time I got to downtown Wenatchee to buy pears, I was limping in pain. I stopped, tore off the gaiters and loosened the darn laces. In public. Aaaaah...

While hiking, I do a lot on the fly. Take a picture. Lengthen poles. Adjust boot laces. Pee. Unzip my jacket. Adjust pack straps. Don't trip. Then there's the pressure to keep up with Karen.

I feel delighted when Karen stops because I can get something done.

"Gro takes off like a locomotive and doesn't stop for anything," Karen said. Hiking with Gro is like hiking alone. We're all different.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for this great post! I always love reading a nice story about hiking, it reminds me of the pre-Covid times. Some really cool photos to accompany it as well. I did a lot of hiking before becoming a dad, and choosing the right pair of boots is definitely the most important element for having the best possible experience. While it may be surprising, I believe that the most hiking-friendly boots are those that you feel comfortable in on a daily basis. I buy mine from an online shop that sells the best work boots in Canada. Check it out! Cheers.

Joke: Why don’t skeletons ever go hiking?
Because they no body to go with.

It is of course best practice, to shed some clothes before you start to sweat. But you know that.

You just need to ask Karen to slow down while you do so. LOL

@Fernapple

I'm faster than Karen going uphill. As a former snowboard instructor, Karen visualizes snowboarding while descending. She flies downhill.

To her credit, Karen stops and waits for me occasionally on the descent, especially at a trail junction. She makes sure I know which way to go.

Of course I have asked Karen to slow down. "I'm cold in the shade so I hustle," she says. "I'll slow down in the sun."

In dangerous terrain, Karen sticks with me to make sure I'm safe.

@LiterateHiker Karen sounds sweet.

@Fernapple

You're right.

Another great story about your hiking, thank you for sharing.

@19dacar52

Thanks! Hope you saw the humor. Most of the time, I think I'm ridiculous.

@LiterateHiker Well... yes however the tight boots was not humerous, it sounded more painful to me.

Beautiful photos!
You ought to post them in the Photography Group- they'd be appreciated there.

@HumanistJohn

Thank you. Or in the hiking group? The pressure, the pressure.

I love your pictures and stories!

@Holysocks

Thank you.

Beautiful pictures! Hope your feet are ok. Need a good foot rub as well as a butt warmer

Happy your safe,you always find some way to make your hikes memorable even if unintenional,Great you got warmed up and back home with a new bum warmer ordered lol ,comfort means everything ,great pics ,Thanks for the memories

Sit apons?? I use double laces in each boot in difficult terrain. Tighten the bottom laces as needed and tie the top laces looser. Stops your feet sliding forward in your boots on the downhill without it being too tight around the ankles

@Cyklone

Thanks for the great suggestion. I'll remember that.

Be careful

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 19, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:554244
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.