Agnostic.com

8 5

I would like to have health insurance even if I decide to stop working before I am eligible for Medicare. Individual health insurance can be quite expensive, but I have heard of HCSM (Health Care Sharing Ministries). The only problem is that (as you might guess), I am not religious. Even the most liberal of these require you to sign a statement recognizing that your rights derive from god. My question is: Is there such a thing available for atheist or agnostics? If not, is that not government sanctioned religious discrimination?

jeff2145 4 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The decision to get health insurance is definitely the right one. Medical insurance in the USA: the cost of the package/plan in absolute figures cannot be called "at all" in the country, because it will be "the average temperature in the hospital". As we mentioned at the beginning of the article, the insurance rules for persons under 65 are determined at the level of each state. And the cost of living, laws and regulations can vary dramatically. You may be wondering what is better than Medigap vs Medicare Advantage. The decision is up to each of you. Choose what is more comfortable for you.

It would be if the HCSM was connected to the government in any way.

If push comes to shove, every state has free health services that are secular. Long waits though. With Biden, many things in healthcare will improve, just wait a bit.

Continue working if you can.

If you are eligible for COBRA (get laid off rather than resigning), that generally gives you better coverage although it possibly costs more than using the exchange. You can continue the coverage past the COBRA eligibility period as an individual.

Just getting off cobra, and it is very expensive. What’s on the open market is a little less expensive but doesn’t cover anything. It’s a joke. Just cash cow for insurance that fights every claim.
We need Medicare for all. Get rid of private insurance completely.

@Canndue you cannot get rid of private insurance companies. Medicare for all sounds good, but a lot of people who are not in the Medicare insurance industry don't understand that Medicare works so well because it is partnered with private insurance companies to give Medicare eligible members great health care that unlike staying on just original Medicare, which has no limit on the member's cost sharing and co-pays.
Those plans are mostly free, to the majority of Medicare eligible members,
and fixes and limits those co-pays and limits the coinsurance amount that the person pays and provides unlimited health care services.

@noworry28 I completely disagree. Private insurance offers zero value. The take money out of the process and make billing, tracking etc a high expense for medical community, benefit administration in companies and individuals. It requires a new approach to the entire system. That means focusing on and improving the current Medicare system.

@Canndue you are entitled to your opinion. Medicare for all would work only in conjunction with private insurance the the Medicare works now with private insurance. However in order to get Medicare you have to contribute to the Medicare fund through payroll tax,which is minimal at this time, and accumulate over time until one reaches the age of eligibility, then there is a monthly charge for part b of Medicare. Taxes would have to be raised substantially in order to pay for Medicare for all and without private insurance it would not have a cost benefit to everyone.

@noworry28 no worries, in the end it’s all about opinions😉l
Bottom line is health care + profit will always cost more than health care without profit. You partially pay for it now, of course taxes go up to pay for it, but I would rather pay $1500 in “taxes” than $2000 to insurance. Not to mention the nickel diming of copays and exorbitant RX costs. Of course adding uninsured and underinsured into the equation adds costs, which can be offset by progressive taxation and removing tax advantages to hospitals and eliminating need for charity which is just hidden taxation against lower classes. Current Medicare needs total overhaul. It can be done

@Canndue If the federal government legalized cannibis and tax it and use that money for Medicare for all, it would work, bur it would still need a partnership with private insurance like Medicare has now for people on Medicare. The drug plans need to be fixed by congress to make it really work the way it should.

@noworry28 😉 if they legalize weed, even if they are sick, they will be fine

@Canndue ya. I think it shouldn’t be called a tax. I’d love to put the amount of my insurance premiums, copays, deductibles and pharma copays into a Medicare fund. I have good health insurance through my public school employer, but it is not free.

@Melind nobody rides for free, except the politicians and fat cats who take, yet never give...

@noworry28 Please stop disseminating disinformation. I lived in Canada for 37 years. Private insurance companies have no involvement in universal health care.

@LovinLarge I totally agree agree with you. Private insurance should go away completely as a concept. They are why Obamacare is a failure and why Biden’s public option will fail.

@Canndue Private insurance is still necessary for other forms of insurance. Obamacare provides health insurance for millions of previously uninsured Americans and it saved my life. Almost always, change occurs incrementally.

@LovinLarge should have specified health insurance. Part of the deal with the ACA that premiums would stay low in exchange for the mandate. Premiums have gone way up and coverage way down.

@Canndue Sounds like for the moment private insurers need to be better regulated. That doesn't mean Obamacare is a failure. It is a foot in the door toward Medicare for All, which will help us get ahold of Big Pharma. Incremental change.

@Canndue Also, you might be interested to know that in at least one Canadian province, because auto insurance is legally required, the provincial government runs the exclusive auto insurance program on a not for profit basis.

@LovinLarge interesting

@LovinLarge it is not disinformation. What works in Canada with a population of 22 million and a higher tax bracket is not easily implemented in the U.S. I would love it if he U.S. had universal health care. I just know a little bit about medicare insurance and people here started a revolution over taxes. Just giving information. Maybe I have certain information that you don't have and people here don't really like high taxes. The only way over 320 million people who don't agree on anything will go along with it is a partnership with strong laws to regulate the insurance companies.

@noworry28 117 countries have universal health care, some of which have populations greater than the US. The population of Canada is almost 38 million.

Universal health care doesn't involve private insurance companies. That was disinformation on your part.

@LovinLarge You need to read carefully what i wrote. I said U.S. Medicare insurance involves private insurance partnership. 38 million is a lot less than over 300 million. You really don't understand the feelings that people here have about high taxes and government. Again read carefully what I said. I would like it if there was universal health care here in theU.S., try telling people that their taxes will be going up in order to pay for it.

@Canndue One of the reasons the ACA is not as good as it should be is because the law left it to the insurance companies to make the specifics of the plans trusting that they would do the right thing. That was the negotiated deal with the Republicans, bad ideas. The ACA has also been defunded little by little each year by congress who was controlled by the Republicans, who tried to kill it. Medicare health insurance is working, but the drug plan part of it is bad. The reason is Medicare control the price on all medical procedures from doctors to hospitals. They left it to the insurance companies to set up the medication plans with little control. That is why drug prices are so high in Medicare for people with diabetes, heart problems and COPD.

@noworry28 You need to read carefully and try to understand what I wrote.

1. You grossly misrepresented the population of Canada.

2. You ignore the fact that some countries with universal health care have larger populations than the US.

3. You said, "you cannot get rid of private insurance companies" even though universal health care does not involve private insurance companies.

4. The majority of Americans support Medicare For All.

You will not understand universal health care until you accept these facts. You can continue to repeat yourself but you will continue to be wrong every time.

@LovinLarge You are entitled to your opinions not facts, Polls are not always correct. People here do not like high taxes. You would be so surprised how many people who love being on Medicare and the benefits that it offers and complains and hate the small amount of money the is taken out of their social security income by the government to give them that health benefit. They would have to pay 5 times more if they had to pay a private insurance company for the same benefits. Those are people that are low income, middle class income upper middle class income and high income earners. Now do you have an idea of what kind of work that. Even when they qualify for free subsidies they still complain about all the money that they pais in Medicare taxes while they were working and that is less than 5%.I deal with this everyday now do you have an idea of how I have certain information that you do not. Talking about car insurance if people here knew wherd the premiums that they pay goes they would be furious. Hint part of it goes to fund retirements for certain government employees.

@noworry28 My comments consist of facts only, I have stated no opinions.

@LovinLarge I said Medicare not Universal health care, Again here in the US Medicare and major medical insurance are very different.

@noworry28 No, when you said that we could not get rid of private insurance companies, you did not limit it to Medicare.

I see you have edited your previous comment substantially. I'm sorry, I'm just not interested enough in what you have to say to read all that because you have already made significant representations. I just pointed them out so no one would be misled.

@LovinLarge 🤣🤣🤣yea right. You're dismissed.

@noworry28 And you're without credibility.

Be very, very careful. These types of plans are noted for scamming and poor, or non-existent coverage. Keep working and take care of yourself.

We need to push Joe toward Medicare for All.

I wish that we had our own system like that.
We need our own communities.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:555200
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.