Agnostic.com

6 7

LINK Scotland Will Finally Remove Unintentional Blasphemy Law In New Hate Crimes Bill | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Earlier this year, Scotland was on the verge of banning the “crime” of blasphemy. The nation had proposed a new Hate Crimes Bill, designed to modernize the law, that included a clause abolishing “blasphemy” as a crime. That was great news!

But the draft bill included a section that criminalized “stirring up hatred” against various groups… including the religious.

Somehow, blasphemy would be eliminated… but hurting religious sensibilities could be prosecuted. It made no sense and it failed to resolve the problem it was attempting to fix.

snytiger6 9 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is only about 300 years since Thomas Aitkenhead was executed for blasphemy in Edinburgh.
Since then we have had the Scottish and European enlightenment but the blasphemy law remains.
Apparently most of the "crimes" covered in the new bill are already adequately covered by existing legislation so why not just abolish the blasphemy law and leave it at that.

The problem with things like this is that people keep having the invisible man in mind.

You can't cure stupid!

It's about time religion gets what it's due for all it's humanshit.

Too often laws are messed up. In the mid 80's Rhode Island passed a law, aimed at protecting those who reported child abuse. Unfortunately, if one was the abuser and reported one's self prior to arrest, one couldn't be arrested for said crime. My oldest was 5 at the time and very smart. I used to say, "Need we go to Rhode Island?" He would giggle at me. "Like, yeah Dad, you never even spank us."

They need to get back and work on it a bit more, should take about five minutes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:556036
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.