Agnostic.com

10 0

Do believer friends invite you to their Church?

I've experienced this quite a few times. I theorize that their thinking is that you haven't found the "right" path to God yet. While realizing their intentions are good, I get annoyed and feel rude having to reject these well intentioned invites. I only enter churches for weddings and funerals.

msar0414 6 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was really upset once and went to see a friend to ask her what to do she said it didnt matter if I were religious or not but it was a very calming thing to do to go into the chapel and light a candle and you didnt have to believe anything and no one would question me - I did it and it worked and I did feel really calmer - I now light candles at home when I feel out of sorts, for the comfort for myself not for a god .

Yes, a few times. And ususally they are a little embarassed and slightly apologetic afterwards because the church service wasn't all that good, or everyone talked throughout the service. 🙂

I don't have many believer friends, most of mine are quite enlightened. But for those who are believers, no they don't.

Yup, they are trying to convert us lol

Ljane Level 2 Apr 12, 2018

Yes, I just say no thank you, if they ask why I ask if they really want to discuss it because it will take some time at which point they usually say no and drop it, if they say yes they usually last ten minutes before making an excuse and leaving.

I'm invited all the time. Believers think it is their duty to invite you coz if they do not you might not "hear the gospel." Also, an atheist like me might be "angry with god." Evangelicals love it when you are in tears, crying and praying and you say "Oh, Jebus. I am so sorry." Later they can smile and say "Jebus just reclaimed one of his own." One of my childhood friends invites me to his church with promise of me meeting a nice woman there. I wonder how that would work out? If both of you become an item you might have to go to church again for the rest of your life. I'm aware of many of these "traps" that religious people set for you.

I haven't got any

Not my ex wife or I, but a close friend of my kids, they said that they were going to see a movie. They took our kids to church, to watch a movie about the resurrection. They came home and had this look on their faces, my ex was pissed.

That goes beyond annoying or disrespectful. That's a downright slap in the face

Doesn't bother me to say, "No, thankyou. I no longer believe that way."
If I were to hedge politely, or give excuses, they'd just try again.

If they press me, that gives me the opportunity to mention the Sumerian texts and/or complain about how 85% of white evangelicals voted for that sexual predator, Trump.

I often mention those things anyway.

I have had a few friends invite me to church and obviously I'll go if it's important to them but when they pray they tell me to go to the bathroom bc they know it makes me uncomfortable

They are very good friends, to acknowledge your feelings and not proselytize.

I am curious as to the discomfort. That is not a judgment, just my nature. I am fascinated by the intense belief that goes into a person talking to an entity to which there is no evidence. A literal imaginary friend. My only discomfort would be them knowing that I was looking around in awe of the situation instead of bowing in reverence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.