Agnostic.com

5 10

LINK NIH Director Tells Churches To Do The "Altruistic, Loving Thing" And Stay Closed : NPR

With COVID- hospitalizations and deaths at record levels, a top public health official called on religious leaders to keep their worship spaces closed, despite rising protests from some church leaders.

snytiger6 9 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Altruism mixed in with religion, you've got be joking, when did those two words EVER manage to get together in a meaning full way?

I disagree with the premise that closing the church is "altruistic, since the reason for closing would be to protect yourself, and others in your group. But then I have never heard of anyone doing a thing that was not a benifit to themselfs personally.

Church leaders want the bodies in church and their money given to them. They don't care about covid.

@Fred_Snerd You've got to kidding, those 'Tithe Collectors' have their greasy mitts out at any chance they get.

@Fred_Snerd Shit a brick M8, ever seen the Bill of Fare those poor deprived 'Tithe Collectors' have to live on?

@Fred_Snerd bloody Norah M8, do you REALLY want me to do ALL that?
I'd probably exceed the page, etc, limits post ALL of that, but I can give a prime example.
In 1968-1969 I worked part-time in a local, well-known and respected Butchers Shop as his assistant.
He handled the regular WEEKLY orders from the Catholic Church Manse. they included EVERY week,
10 ( TEN) pounds of ONLY finest, freshest T-bone steaks,
6 ( SIX) pounds of the Freshest, Finest Oyster blade Steaks,
6 (SIX) pounds of the finest Lamb Forequarter chops,
3 Legs of Lamb for roasting,
2 shoulders of Beef for roasting,
4 LARGE Chickens, and,
12 pounds of the best, fat and rid removed Bacon.
ALL of that for just # Catholic Priest per week.
Total price back then ranged at around $280.00 - $360.00 ( prices were DISCOUNTED btw, because it was for the Church) Australian per week.
Most households here back then could ONLY afford a maximum of around $20.00 - $30.00 per week for families of between 4 and 5 people.

@Fred_Snerd Business Procedures, eh?
Well the Catholic Church runs and operates 2 well known side businesses here where I live,
The St. Vincent de Paul's Op Shop and the St. Vinnies Meals Service for the needy/homeless.
St, Vinnies Boutique, as it is colloquially called here, gets EVERYTHING DONATED to it BUT sells EVERYTHING at a price about 2-3% BELOW Current Market value CLAIMING that they HAVE PAY Wages to the Staff, which btw, are made of 99% Volunteer Staff anyway,
Vinnies Meals Service, aka "Vinnies Chew and Spew," CHARGES $5.00-$10.00 for a meal BUT also EXPECTS the diners pay an extra 'tithe' as well as praying for at least 20 minutes BEFORE they eat.
They also CLAIM that the prices MUST include the Wages payable to the Staff of which ALL but the Administrator ARE Volunteers only.
Btw, I have tried their 'meals'(??????). IF you dare to call them that.
They consist of a Soup course, usually a very watery broth, i.e. more water than broth, a main course(????) of minced meats, 2 well over-boiled vegetables, 1 very small potato, 1 small to minute bread roll followed by a cup of almost cold, weak to the point of needing assistance to get it out of the cup, tea or coffee and 2 wafer style, dry and as close to stale biscuits.
They'd average a daily intake of 'customers' of around 15- 20 people AND everything they serve up as a meal(????) IS DONATED to them anyway.
So, their total profits from these venues ARE NOT taxed and range in at about the 99% level Gross Income levels.

@Fred_Snerd No probs there my friend.
I once had the very dubious 'honour' of doing the Accounts and Ledgers for both Vinnies Boutique and Vinnies Chew and Spew back in the late 90's when their own Bookkeeper/Accountant was doing time for Fraud.

Costs nothing to ask.

Yea go ask a bear to shit in a toilet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558611
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.