Agnostic.com

15 2

What should be the default sort of comments when you view a post with lots of comments?

Until a few days ago, we were always sorting comments to posts reverse chronological (i.e., putting the newest comment at the top). We then thought that once a post gets 20 comments it has enough "likes" to have a winner as to what people think is a great comment... so for those popular posts, we now show the ones with the most "likes" at the top. While you can always click a sort to view it reverse chronological, it's still another clicks. Thoughts?

• 40 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 6 votes
Admin 9 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think chronological is best, just makes following the thread much easier. Particularly when a post evolves into a full conversation.

I like to be able to follow a conversation, so I like the latest on top and I can work through the conversation.

Update... thanks so much for the feedback. Wrote code to save whatever sort you do as a preference so that things are sorted that way until you change it again. Why compromise when you can have both? 🙂

Admin Level 9 Nov 28, 2017

I think the default should be newest at the top. For those of us who make posts it is easier to read new comments that way.

I think it would be a cool added feature to let a person click to show the most liked comments on a post. That way those who want to read the most liked comments can do so if they wish.

Newest Comment on top! It gives everyone fair opportunity to have their comments seen and without being weeded through other popular comments that have been around and are already being discussed. Most people have no problem looking through the older post to see what is out there and some just want to see what is the most current quickly.

I wouldn't mind the post with the most activity being on to and then just new posts in order under that. I wouldn't want to miss the top post as it could offer interactivity.

Newest at the top is the most natural and logical method. It doesn't take much time to scroll to the bottom of even 100 comments if one wants to see the beginning of the thread.

You have a tab for most liked so it should not be necessary to change the format. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Nov 28, 2017

Save the sort order in a cookie.

Done better... now in a database table 🙂

The content I have read on here generally seems to fork off based on the initial comment. I would say first generation comments should be sorted by "likes" or "length of thread"(number of comments+likes combined?), but within those the conversation should be treated chronologically

without the comments being in order you can loose comments that comment on a previous comment. Comments tend to build on each other in some casses

For the default, most liked or as some have suggested friends. You could have options to sort by 'likes' 'newest' and 'most controversial' the latter being the comment with the most replies.

I think to put our friends comments first , then the most liked comment , then the latest comment

Oldest to newest for the sake of continuity and collective discussion progression/evolution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5588
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.