Agnostic.com

22 7

Book addicts

What is your favorite book and author?

Adorkable 6 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have to pick only ONE?! Impossible.

PC Hodgell is one of my favorite "unknown" authors. Her Kencyrath series is absolutely hysterical

Favorite author is Edgar Allen Poe, favorite book is portrait of Dorian gray

God is Not Great: how religion poisons everything - Christopher HItchens.

@Adorkable I liked the God is Not Great better than the God Delusion. Hitchens is so snarky and funny in places, and has such a way with words. Get it as an audio book. It's one of the few cases where the audio book is a better experience than reading it yourself - Hitchens does the reading. I just love his voice!

It's on my phone and I listen to it in the car.

There are way too many, and it changes all the time.

Me too. I can never answer one of these without listing at least half a dozen.

If I had to choose just one, probably "The Persian Boy" by Mary Renault

Other Faviorites
Shogun by James Clavell
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
The Butcher's Boy by Thomas Perry
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The People of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear

As a great lighthearted fantasy series, I'd recommend Terry Pratchett's Disc world series. I took pains to read them in order, but I am told that is not needed. I think it does help to keep characters straight though and for thos eof us who are detail oriented, to read them in order (timeline order, not order written) improves the readign experience.

Beach Music by Pat Conroy

Ornament of the World by Maria Rosa Menocal. How Arabs, Jews and Christians coexixted for over 5 centuries in Spain.

Paulo Coelho.

JK666 Level 7 Apr 12, 2018

Just added "The Alchemist" to my readign list to see what this author is like.

Anything written by Robert A. Heinlein, and most of the John Scalzi books.

Also, indie author Misha Burnett's Catskinner novel series.

@Adorkable His most famous, popular work is Stranger in a Strange Land, which I'm currently rereading for the umpteenth time, and which is credited for the 1960s-70s free love era. I had a "Heinlein" attack a few days ago and have been reading one Heinlein book after another..Between Planets, Farmer in the Sky, Tunnel in the Sky, etc.

My favorite Jon Scalzi books are the Old Man's War series, but they're all good. I bought all those books again on Kindle after I moved to Thailand

I grew up on Heinlein"s juvenile stories; Have Space, Will Travel, Podkayne Of Mars, The Rolling Stones and others I can't recall the titles of. My favorite though is, "Space Orphans", which was a melding of 2 novelettes, it is the plot of "Generation Ships" that I like because of the study of people trapped in a society that falters.

@Adorkable Scalzi can write about some really odd characters, I love it. My favorite by him is "Red Shirts" and the "Old Man's War series" is top-notch.

Belgariad by David Eddings (Technically a volume... Loopholes!)

I read a lot. About 4 years ago I read a book I cannot forget. The imagery. The story. DONT SLEEP THERE ARE SNAKES! it is a memoir written by a linguist. His wife's church paid him and his wife &2 children to go live deep in the Amazon Jungle. The linguist was hired to figure out the language of an indigenous Amazonian tribe, never before translated into any other language. Why would a church do that? So the (heathens) could get a Bible they could read. So their poor souls could be saved. (Those are my words, not the author's. He was scientific.) Well, the memoir about the isolated tribe, their culture, I found fascinating, and has stuck with me like few books have. Can you imagine a language with no words that compare? No such thing as bigger, smaller. Faster, slower, etc. No number bigger than 3. They rarely caught more than 3 fish at a time so it stopped there. The writer's wife and daughter narrowly escaped dying from malaria. The people lived in thatched huts. They would cut open a whole in their roof to look at the stars. Or close it back up again. Adults took turns at night being on the lookout for critters, especially poisonous snakes. The people knew nothing about any divinity. They were not interested, couldn't conceptualize one. They had their mores. If anyone broke any of their norms, that person was sent out of the village into the jungle, ostracized to fend for himself. Children saw everything adults did. See what I mean about vivid images?

After reading this, I have to find this book. Thank you!

My favorite book is one of the paperback reprints of "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine.

I am a Tom Robbins fan, but my favorite book is On The Road

I'm trying to get into reading again.

Ornament of the World by Maria Rosa Menocal. How Arabs, Jews and Christians coexixted for over 5 centuries in Spain.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

Classics: Thomas Hardy "Far from the Madding Crowd" and "the Mayor of Casterbridge" , "Howard's End" E.M. Forster, Jane Austin "Pride & Prejudice", - Also, "the Time Traveller's Wife" , "The Girl on the Train", "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norel", "Gone Girl", "The Golem and the Jinni", "Clan of the Cave Bear" and "The Mammoth Hunters" Jean Aul, "Born a Crime" Trevor Noah.

@Adorkable the books are much much more deep than the movie. I would highly recommend reading the first 2-3 in the series. they are big books but very interesting.

Terry Pratchett -everyhting he wrote.
Jim Butcher - everything he wrote
There is a goo six dozen books for you to try.

Favorite book: The Shining. Favorite author: Stephen King.

@mudhen I would disagree. He has written several true masterpieces. "The Stand" comes to mind, or "It",

This is an impossible question to answer. I have so many 'favorite' books. And authors. But if I had to choose only ONE author, it would be Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. I've been reading her books longer than anyone else. Nearly 30 years.

I'm surprised you know her, @Adorkable. Most people have never heard of CQY. I blame Anne Rice. LOL

I read every night in bed - I love crime novels a the moment reading Kathy Reichs breaking in Bones.

My favourite of all time is probably wind in the willows

My brain is like on vacation or something right now. I do go on reading marathons will read a book in 2 or 3 days seem I have too many distractions these days.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55935
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.