Agnostic.com

37 6

What are your thoughts on Faith?

One of my biggest issues with religion is the whole concept of Faith, or in the religious sense, Blind Faith.

Arguments ALWAY loop back to "I just have Faith." I won't even continue arguing the topic because I know at that point that person has abandoned all logic and reason. It's an adult version of putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "La-La-La-La I can't hear you!!"

To believe in something solely for the sake of believing seems insane to me. Especially when their source is ONE BOOK! The insert religious texts here is not proof! Also, Christian Science is an oxymoron, and creationism is just bad science.

What are your thoughts on Faith? How can/do you rationalise it?

KDzo 4 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no faith in religious faith but I have faith in myself, in my family, in my doctor, in the man who services my car and in the many friends I am lucky enough to have.

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Faith, she's a nice girl but I haven't seen her recently.

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Well I guess it would be nice...If I could touch your body, I know not everybody, has got a body like You o oooooo...Baaaby

I don't - usually have the word faith in my personal vocabulary and can't remember a time when i actually used it at all except when I had a friend who was saddled with all the names

'Faith Hope Charity Wise.'

But what use is Faith ? If you have faith that a chair will bear your weight and then it doesn't and you hurt yourself its the same end result as you not bothering with faith.

Faith is Belief without Credible Evidence. I'm not a fan.

I always think of this quote:

it is easy to dismiss Abrahams's "faith" and hence dismiss the Bible without realizing that the Bible plainly shows Abraham having so little "faith" that he went and slept with Hagar. Iow a conundrum is deliberately introduced that is not an accident, yet a religious person would never even entertain this convo, see

And the new testament chapter that most applauds his faith- Hebrews 11, (the "faith chapter" ) is on the most twisted of terms. The author explains that his faith was exemplary because he was willing to kill his son (when he heard voices) and that this faith included the reasoning that after he murdered his own offspring, that god could raise his son from the dead (Heb 11:17-19).

@KingofHarts well i would read that in the context of his peers offering their children to Molech, and understand that sacrificing Isaac was never going to be asked; and even sacrificing the ram is condemned elsewhere. "I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

@KingofHarts but fwiw i would abandon the religious interp entirely, and examine the passage as mythology. Don't think of Abe and Isaac as individual people iow

Abraham was a fictional character.

@Athos i would go with "mythological" there, somewhat different i guess. but yes.
fwiw "the Oaks of Mamre" = "inferior school of thought" believe it or not
"oaks" are...not good iow

My definition of faith is to believe in something without evidence, or despite evidence to the contrary. Faith is the antithesis of objectivity.

i would urge you to reflect on your willingness to fly on a plane, say, in relation to these concepts. Faith might more reasonably be the antithesis of subjectivity iow

@bbyrd009 There is plenty of evidence that my flight will arrive at its intended destination. Namely, the historical record of the airline. The flight log of the captain, etc. Care to try again?

[abarim-publications.com]

this is a dense read, actually gets better in the second half, but here is a quote from the top; "The verb πειθω (peitho), to persuade, denotes a collective synchronizing of wisdom and the ironing out of wrinkles in a society's continuum of understanding. It does not describe someone preaching and the rest listening, but people conversing in a verbal economy and achieving a unification of minds (ACTS 17:4) into a mutual identity to which everybody can relate"

As near as I can tell, I was born without a shread of faith. Is the sun coming up tomorrow? We shall see. I've always been puzzled by other people's faith. I once friended a woman that believed in fiber & juicing. Angels, aliens. Krishna, Jesus, Buddah, vitaman C and collidal silver solution. I did figure out pretty quick that she was nuts, but she was more fun than an entire bushel basket of Baptists. I'm not here for a long time, but I am here for a good time.

And I hope we meet 'the next time'.

It's a great song. RIP George Michael.

I find faith comical in a sad way. Never had faith in my life.

Faith and belief are certainly the most dangerous cognitive traps . There is nothing more dangerous than a man or women of Faith.
It’s an antisocial mental illness that refuses evidence based thinking in favor of prejudice and dogma.
Doubt ! Doubt everything and demand evidence , and even when the evidence is useful continue to question.
Right?
That’s us at our best!
That’s what drives our creative and inventive capacity .

There is no rationalizing faith, it is toxic garbage.

This is part of a post I recently made here.
On Faith:
Faith arises from a mysitical experience. Faith in a religion is due to one's mystical experience in the framework of that religion. Testimony of that faith and of that mystical experience is hearsay. If several mystics write a book about their faith, then it is compounded or second hand hearsay. When translated from one language to another, then hearsay is layered on hearsay.
Hearsay is not evidence.
On the other hand, I don't dismiss faith that others may have, for I have not had the mystical experience. For myself, I prefer to believe that which I can see, what my senses can measure when extended by my instruments.
If faith gives someone comfort so be it, but they should not expect to impress others with professions of your faith by it UNLESS it is accompanied by living a life in a way that impresses others. Of these, there are few. In my life I have known only a very small handful.

I have to add that I do draw the line when someone of faith attempts to turn the rubrics of their faith into law.

When I get the "faith" argument, I ask the person to please name any other aspect of their lives in which they operate on only faith. When they give me the standard answers, I go into detail explaining why their reasons are not actually faith.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

I agree with you, faith and blind faith are dangerous, just look at all the religious cults that ended up with murder suicide, don't drink the Kool Aid! Faith is belief without evidence and I for one need evidence and that one book is NOT the evidence, it is the declaration that it is true without proof in ANY secular records from the time to verify the veracity of the claims which BTW were all made centuries after the supposeded facts.

It's a matter of defining our words, isn't it? We make a distinction between religious faith, which means believing things for which there is no evidence, or the evidence is contrary, and the faith we use in normal life, which is the equivalent of having confidence in something or someone, because we have good reasons for it.

I agree with the OP in every way here except for one. The source of that unquestioning blind faith is not ONE BOOK. In the Christian religion it is at least 66 books bound as one and will be more if you are Catholic. It follows as a point of logic that these books do not and cannot agree with each other. They may appear not to disagree but that is another matter. A cookbook doesn't disagree with Harry Potter either.

Faith is another word for belief and if you believe something to be true, it usually happens. This theory is based on quantum physics and can be scientifically tested. Words and emotions are also scientifically tested and proven to be a source of alchemy. We have an invisible, energetic forcefield around us that has materialistic properties behind it to manifest energy out of thin air. The same machines that can detect this invisible forcefield can also detect infrared, microwave and WiFi signals.
You literally have your scientific translation behind the religious interpretations of faith within the click of a button.
If your interested, I can show you some links.

Please do share the links, I'm curious to read up on that.
I can appreciate the statement "if you believe something to be true it usually happens" in the sense that, as the saying goes, "whether you believe you can or can't you're right." However, that statement might be a little too vague. There are lots of things you could believe to be true that will never come to fruition.
I also don't know much about alchemy, so I'd be curious to read up more on that piece too.
The forcefield piece is a little hard for me to accept, however I don't deny it. I do believe that there are abilities that we normally would not be able to access, or that we may just not understand how to utilize yet.

My post was more so speaking in regards to people who use "faith" or "God works in mysterious ways" to end an argument or to divert from a question. I would be doubtful the the people I speak of would have the same interpretation of "faith" that you speak of. I say that just based on how they use the term in the scenario I outlined.

I don't really think about it much because I am not sure I have any - Everybody in my early life abused me or let me down, so I gave up on people. I certainly don't have faith in most people. I don't need to trust because i learned to look out for myself . I wouldnt say I am strong but I am certainly self sufficient and don't see why I would blindly trust anyone with anything that is precious to me.

Depends on where the needle vsits on my gas gauge and if I know where I'm at. Faith needs hope, hope doesn't need faith.

It's a disease.

Like syphilis, or cancer, but nastier.

Blind Faith

I have faith in my driving ability, my electrical repairs but not my plumbing skills, mostly in the airliners I ride in and in my kids. Some Sky fairy? Nawwww...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.