Agnostic.com

7 6

LINK Going to Church Regularly Isn’t the Only Way to Improve Your Mental Health | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Last week, Gallup released a survey about mental health and noted that, overall, it’s lower today than “it has been at any point in the last two decades.”

snytiger6 9 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well that is GOOD NEWS considering that I was reading my monthly Psychologists Newsletter last evening where in it was a finalized International Survey ( Western Cultures mostly) that shows that the Suicide rates between those who are religious and those who are NOT are vastly different.
I.e. on a world-wide, western culture basis it has found and proven conclusively that approx. 85% of Suicides, successful or unsuccessful are committed by those with a religious faith and of the estimated 15% of the unsuccessful attempts 11% who have remained religious re-attempt suicide numerous times until successful BUT those who leave religion/religious beliefs AFTER making an unsuccessful attempt at suicide, 4%, seek psychological help voluntarily and never attempt suicide again.

I can thing of 1000s of better things to do to improve my mental health than going to church. That would be like punishment.

I just found religion boring. Even after 7 years of parochial school i had to go to “Religious Instruction” for 2 years following that while still attending Sunday Mass Brainwashing. I always took issue with the Noah’s Ark claims. If it was true what the Bible claims that all those animals were saved, how in the world did they, all the food for them, for Noah’s family, would ever fit into a 400 or 500 foot ark? And for 9 months? Not to mention ventilation, no charts, no lights, no bilge pump to bail water out.......you would need about 10 or maybe more Titanic size ships to do that. That’s when I started to realize it’s all made up.

Situation very similar to mine. But I was the kid who would ask questions (innocently) when they would spin these yarns, and I found they couldn’t answer them...which just raised more questions

Religion didn't improve my mental health, it made it worst. I was always praying for forgiveness and living in fear of hell.

I agree. Anxiety and depression only got worse.

Religion does not contribute to mental health. It contributes to mental illness. 😟

I am in full agreement with you.

Imo as a Psychologist, Religion is the ONLY CONTAGIOUS Mental Illness known to man kind.

I feel better just walking on my trails

Going to church increased my mental illness. Kind of hard to feel uplifted when the parishioners made you feel less than human because you were poor and had a child out of wedlock.

That I can understand since hypocrisy is RIFE amongst the Christians.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:560960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.