Agnostic.com

22 1

Do you consider Atheism to be a religion or a belief system?

Josaldo33 3 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism is a religion is like:

• baldness is a hair colour
  • not collecting stamps is a hobby
  • not playing basketball is a sport
  • abstinence is a sex position
  • off is a channel on TV
  • unemployed is a job
  • barefoot is a type of shoe

State of being

I think it is a personal truth.

There is an old saying...."To thine own self, be true."

Betty Level 8 Nov 28, 2017

Atheism is not a religion or an ideology. It is a simple disbelief. It lacks the defining attributes of either a religion or an ideology.

Neither, definitely not. As silvereyes said, atheism is the lack of belief in a god. It says nothing else about a person's beliefs. The question: Do you believe in a god? Our answer is no.

I use the metaphor of an app, or a piece of software on the computer. Beliefs are merely apps that we either install, or get installed for us. To say that I "don't believe in God," simply means I have either uninstalled that app, or never had it installed in the first place.

Beliefs are created in the absence of facts and data. I don't believe in the sun, the earth is round, or that it orbits the sun. I don't believe those because I don't need to. Those things that require beliefs do so in the absence of enough evidence. It's baked into the cake and therefore necessary, but when we are aware of what they are, we're more willing to challenge them when actual information comes along.

Neither.
The A denotes "not"
Asymmetrical means "not" symmetrical.
Atheist means "not" theist.

No. It's the absence of religious belief.

Zster Level 8 Nov 28, 2017

Religion is defined as 'the belief and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal god or gods', thus atheism cannot be a religion. It also is not a belief system as there is no set of rules, as atheism is just the lack of belief in deities.

Yes its a belief.Agnostism is not.

It is not a religion though.

A belief system.

No. Not a religion. I guess it could be argued that not believing in god is a kind of belief system, the belief in acquired knowledge over superstition and/or myths, and in the lack of knolwedge thinking it is alright to just say "I/We don't know yet."

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god or gods, as theism is the belief in a god or gods, there are theistic and atheistic religions (most are theistic) but nether is technically a religion in and of it self, a belief system is broad and does not necessarily have to do with a religion of any kind

Ohh! Good question, I had to think about this. Only if science is considered a belief system. And there is definitely an argument supporting Science as a belief system. My case in point are the scientists who come to the conclusion their work provides a teleological proof of God and are then ostracized. If science repudiates those whose work is deemed non conformist, then it's definitely a belief system.

I think it means belief in whatever you want without ridiculous concepts getting in the way

religion has a money thing in it and none of you have given a cent so i guess system it is

No. Atheism is, by definition, the absence of belief in any gods. That's it. There is nothing else required.

I was going to answer but it looks like y'all got it pretty well covered.
😉

Neither. You don't convert into being an atheist, you are born one. Atheism is the truth whether you decide to believe in it or not.

It's a lack of belief. Not a belief system.

It's a 'state of mind'

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5616
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.