Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK Russia Sentences Jehovah’s Witness to Six Years in Prison for Practicing Faith | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

In 20, Russia’s Supreme Court ruled that the Jehovah’s Witnesses were an “extremist” group that had to give the government all of their property. At the time, the decision affected an estimated 2, congregations and 5,000 believers.

snytiger6 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This should all be condemned as wrong and as cruel. Does that make the JW's right? No, it does not. In the future at some point others will claim how the JW''s endured this til the end "because of their faith." If anyone in prison died this could go down as similar to the Abrahamic faith claim of how believers died "for their faith." A close examination shows it to not be the case at all.

Such heavy handed measures made more sense in the Soviet Union, which had a vigorous anti-superstition policy, but now only serves the interests of the Orthodox Church, guarding its privileged social and political position. I find the Witnesses theologically interesting and personally annoying, yet undeserving of this kind of brutal treatment.

Its still the Soviet Union. They just hide behind a capitalist mask now.

@redhog No, I don’t believe that, and I know this territory well. The Soviet Union, however, never stopped being Russia.

@redhog Vladimir Putin was the NKVD (Soviet Secret Police) chief in the former SU.

Practicing faith ! Waht a weird accusation lol

Akrem Level 1 Dec 18, 2020

JW’s are right up there with Scientologist. We have sister in law and niece that are JW’s. Niece could not find a JW boyfriend so started dating a non-JW. She was called before the elders and given an ultimatum which ended in her being shunned. Mother is not allowed to see or communicate with her.
Just tears families apart.....

This smell of the russian orthodox church getting rid of competion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:561795
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.