Agnostic.com

62 5

What’s your views on the death penalty laws?

EmeraldJewel 7 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If your given the death penalty it should be carried out immediately or the next morning at the latest.

So given the death penalty based on false or erroneous testimony we should extinguish a life?

come on, these days with DNA anyway there was no mention of what the death sentence should be for.

I agree with it

Totally opposed.

I'm agains thte death penalty in part because it has been foudn that some peopel who were wrongly convicted were put to death.

Also, for those who have been correctly convicted, it seems to me that death ends their punishment and sufferign too soon. Also, death penalty cases cost more than life sentences, because of all the appeals.

Lock them up for life. keep those wrongfully convicted alive and lengthen the amount of suffering those rightfrully convicted must face.

People are being executed on the streets by law enforcement these days just to skip the paperwork.
It's like a YouTube challenge or something.
Who am I to put that judgement down when we are being judged without trial?

Totally against it.

I used to think that I would rather die than spend the rest of my life in prison. I sort of moved away from that though. I think of Hurricane. I think it's more expensive to the state to kill someone with all writ of habeous corpus. I think there have been some horrifying botched executions. I think there is discrimination against the poor, the abused, the mentally ill, minorities, and men. I think there is a brutalization effect when the state takes a life, whereas people see it as giving justification to violence and that those in question may become more violent to evade being arrested. I think we should put more effort into protecting and enhancing people's lives.

Generally speaking, I'm against it. However, there could be exceptions. Crimes like child trafficking or child rape could warrant the death penalty.

The documentary "The Thin Blue Line" convinced me that capital punishment was wrong, because sometimes courts wrongly convict a person of a capital crime and an execution cannot be reversed if a mistake is discovered. The documentary tell the story of Randall Adams. He was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of a Dallas police officer. The police and the DA had two suspects - one they could execute (adult male and not a local) and one they couldn't (a juvenile native Texan from a nearby town). Which one do you think they chose to charge? Which one do you think actually did it? The cops and the DA even had the kid (who later admitted to doing it) testify against Adams. Fortunately for Adams, problems with the case led the death sentence to be changed to life imprisonment, rather than granting him a new trial. Adams sat in prison for 14 years for a crime he did not commit. Documentarian Errol Morris took up his case and the documentary ended up helping Adams get released from prison. The strangest twist is the kid who actually did it fingered Adams because Adams wouldn't let him stay the night in his motel room. So, pissed off at Adams (who he'd met that day), he took a drive, got pulled over in a stolen car and then murdered the cop.

Personally, I find capital punishment to be one of the most hypocratic things of all time. It's against the law to kill. So how do we handle people who kill? Kill THEM. To ME, that is, as my Mama used to say, "ass backwards." Not to mention the possibility of the innocence of the accused. What happens when the truth comes out that they WERE innocent? "Ooopsy?" But that is just me. Of course, proponents of the death penalty have often asked me, "what if someone murdered YOUR loved one?" To which I always reply, "I would want them to suffer as long as possible. LIFE in prison, would so work for me."

even prison is not the way , rehabilitation and psychoanalysis have to be instituted

@markdevenish I agree.

I am against it. Not because I believe it is immoral to kill someone that has murdered someone and is likely to do it again. But because I believe you can’t 100% guaranty you are putting the right person to death. Plus it cost more to put someone to death than it does to keep them in prison for life.

The death "penalty," aka, capital punishment, is a waste of time. Mostly because of costs. And the way too many false positives. :: too many innocent people are sentenced for what were reactive behaviors. And too many non-whites.

Revenge can be a good feeling. But being dead provides less suffering. And I lean toward maximum suffering as a result of certain behaviors.

And, the point of incarceration is to provide deterrence of future bad acts. The death penalty is just the sentence for certain bad acts, in certain locales, that are rather arbitrary.

If a person is dead, we will probably not later learn they were not at fault. Hence, there is no good justification for the state killing people.

There have been incidences of known innocent people being killed because no one in power wanted to fix it. That is evil beyond reason.

The people that are caught red-handed on video. Like Jos Smith, the guy in Florida that kidnapped and killed Carlie Brucia wasted a ton of money on the trial. They had him dead to rights that guy should have gone right into a nitrogen chamber and been frozen.

We have a right to a fair trail here in America evidence can be doctored that includes video.

@Donto101 What about the victims and the victims family.

@azzow2 they have rights too. But their rights don’t over ride the right to a fair trail.

@Donto101 Explain that to a kid that lost their parent. A spouse that no longer has a partner. The victims right should over rice the criminals. The system is flawed.

@azzow2 you are innocent until proven guilty. No bodies rights over ride the rights of others.

I am for it. If you don't have death penalty then I believe every person should adapt hard time, ok the 3 meals and a cot with a TV. I think if the crime is server enough that a person or persons commit it then they should have to deal with the consequences as well. And further more I don't think they should be sitting there for years and year either. Although I do know why that is, but still do not agree with that.

If it is wrong to kill another human being other than in self defence, then it is wrong period. Christians and Jews take note.

It should only be for padeophile rapist death penalty

I haven't made up my mind as to whether I think it's good or bad..

marga Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

It's the end of the world for the deceased. No something I look forward to, except occasionally.

I think the death penalty exists to satisfy the need in people for revenge and in a more primitive way, it attempts to soldidify the group through this collective act of killing.

The problem of course, is that every once in a while they convict the wrong person. Therefore, confinement seems the only reasonable response.

No. Innocent people have been put to death. Many of them. They are for revenge only, they are proven to not be a deterrent, and imagine being executed for a crime you didn't commit.

Time to be civilized, regardless of their crime.

The only argument that makes any sense is a fiscal one. Seeing as the US has 73% of the worlds lawyers, the legal costs outweigh that anyway. If it worked then you should have a low murder rate. You do not.

Not a total fan but sure would like it available for certain heinus crimes the commission of which is obvious to the average person like the Oklamoma bombing.

Odd one that. I listened to a radio doc about this and one of guys anti was formally pro death penalty. He lost his daughter to the Oklahoma bombing but she was anti all her life. So he changed his stance to honor her wishes. The victims families were split into two camps. Whilst the pros thought that execution would bring about some form of closure, it did not. Plus (from what I gleen) there may well have been others involved in this atrocity but one avenue of inquiry is now closed.

This is a touch one, i feel only hardened criminals like serial killers,rapist, and child molesters should get the Death penalty. Also we waste alot of dollars imprisoning people who shouldn't be in prison.

Strongly opposed in all cases.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 13, 2018

It should not be used except that person is a repear offender who commits the crime like 5 times (which isn't possible anyway because the person will already have Life improsonment)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56327
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.