Agnostic.com

13 4

The Paths of Babes

Have any you watched as your adult child made decisions or lived their lives in such a way that you know they will have long term health problems because of their choices? If you say too much to them then you're nagging and they get offended or shut down. It's like watching your child in a very slow car wreck and you can do nothing to stop it. All I can do is be supportive and offer help and advice when she asks for it. How do you deal with it?

Jlangston70 7 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I learned to view their lives like a soap opera and wait for them to come to me for advice. My children haven’t had very serious issues though.

Childless by choice & your scenario is why.

You have to let them make their own mistakes. It is hard. But when they make a correction and do something good or in the right direction, make sure you give them plenty of praise.

Acceptance. We had to take our steps to learn with everybody telling us of our mistakes based on their experience. I simply provide my experience, which is vast, and let her walk her path, letting her know that I am there for her along the way.

Just like my parents watched me and now the next cycle of life is unfolding.....so yeah, its called karma, isn't?

I have one just like that. I hope someday she figures it out, but she won't listen to me. I was kinda a idiot at that age to so I figure I did ok. I hope it works out for your daughter as well. I think all you can do is be there for them.

Once my kids were 18 years old, I left them alone to smoke, take drugs, or eat junk food as they liked. I always told them they could do anything they wanted once they were paying their own health insurance.

My daughter eventually reverted back to her organic, healthy diet, but dunno about my son.

A lot of our parents went thru exactly what you are dealing with.....or something pretty close to it. For the mostpart we all turned out ok....and so did they.

Exactly what your doing..and express your concern.

You've got to let them be adults and make their own choices. My kids health wise are doing really good. One of them career wise is not making wise choices, but she's not taking advice from anyone.

We all sooner or later have to accept the fact we give our babies to the world even if they will always be our babies they are not for us to keep.

They are adults and you can only hope your guidance helped.

No kids here but that has to be so difficult

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.