Agnostic.com

14 1

Can you be scientifically based and follow astrology?

CarlSagan72 3 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course, astrology is widely regarded as pseudoscience. But why are many of the facts I've been told by astrologists true facts? Have you heard of what your zodiac constellation map is? It's calculating your character, destiny, and even health by superimposing your date, time, and place of birth on the planet on a constellation map. I've been into it for a while and have calculated everything about myself. My character description by astrology and eating habits really did match! And when I wanted to know What is my Chiron sign I was extremely surprised. My constellation is related to comet Chiron and affects my destiny directly. My friends don't attach importance to such small celestial bodies, but I do.

Probably not

Follow astrology, might be too strong for me, but had read Carl Jung did do some research on personalities and using charts.
I believe Science is limited to.what it can measure it chooses to. I have also seen myers briggs and astrology chart interpretations almost identical. To me disregarding correlations because it is out of the realm of science is as crazy as the placebo effect not linked to mind over matter at some level.

With that being said, sun signs and newspaper predictions of your day are inane to pay attention too.

While I absolutely do not follow nor believe in Astrology I do run across those who are scientifically literate yet will make a statement such as “X is incompatible with Y “ due to their astrological sign
Usually atheists/agnosticism tend to lean more towards empirical data and It seemed like opposing viewpoints to me
I was interested to see the viewpoints of those who believe that you can follow Astrology while being grounded in science
Thank you for all your replies😁

A possible yes, but only when interpreted by a genuine psychic, such as the late Edgar Cayce, and probably only in terms of probabilities, because there are so many things to consider, so many moving parts, so much random chance, individual decisions, etc.
But I do think the general idea is valid.

At one level you could in theory do so. For there to be a deep, hidden, connection between the movements of the planets and stars and the fate of organisms, does not directly conflict with any known science, anymore than the idea that there are fairies at the bottom of my garden does.

But as with the fairies, where there have been an awful lot of studies done by science on the ecosystem of this planet, and not one of them has turned up any miniature anthropoids. There is an awful lot of science and history which point to there being no truth in it. Two examples.

Firstly when statistical surveys have been done quite often on astrology, and they have found two things. That astrological predictions have no more accuracy than predictions made by random chance, and that no two astrologers can be found to agree no the same predictions than random chance. In other words they can not even manage self consistency.

Secondly historically. How does astrology deal with mass events, where the same thing happens to large numbers of people all at the same time. Especially natural disasters and battles where large numbers of people die, many of whom must have had very different horoscopes. That was famously said two thousand years ago by the Roman author/statesman Cicero. The Romans suffered one of their worst ever defeats at the battle of Cannae, with a terrible World War One level of fatalities. Many years later when Cicero was asked about why he did not respect astrology, he said. " Did twenty thousand men at Cannae all have the same horoscope ? Yet they all had the same fate."

Define "follow".

Hello Pontartinvbendog, little while no see. You doing OK ?

@Fernapple Doing good. The shooting hasn't started yet.

You're kidding, right?

No!

Only if you're doing it for fun.

Astrology is a pseudoscience. It attributes mystic and divine properties to the charting of the planets. Mystics and divinity is not scientific. Though no one is stopping you from following what you like.

Yes. As long as you realize astrology is not science based.

skado Level 9 Jan 3, 2021

As a hobby or novelty....and not taking advantage of people who truly believe

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:565854
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.