Agnostic.com

8 8

Ok America, you can have ONE humanist.
[pewforum.org]

Mvtt 7 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suspect there are many more agnostics and atheists than what those numbers show.
They have to say they are religious in order to get elected.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 5, 2021

Interesting article. The historical trend is mildly promising, but COME ON ALREADY! (I mean it's frustrating.)

Given other Pew Research that shows how atheism is practically lethal to electability in the U.S., I wonder how many in Congress hide their true beliefs. At the bottom of the list are some suspect categories: "Don't know" (!!! πŸ™‚ ), Unaffiliated, ... Unitarian Universalist (UU) could mean anything (there are plenty of atheists, pagans, Buddhists, etc. among UUs).

At best those non-theists might add up to 5%. (Presumptuously) add in the Jews, some of whom are probably nonreligious, and you might have 10% of Congress.

Quotes:

"When it comes to religious affiliation, the 117th U.S. Congress looks similar to the previous Congress but quite different from Americans overall.

"Members of Congress also are older, on average, than U.S. adults overall. ... adults in that age range are more likely to be Christian than the general public ... Still, Congress is more heavily Christian even than U.S. adults ages 50 to 64, by a margin of 14 percentage points.

"Nearly all non-Christian members of Congress are Democrats.

"Fully 99% of Republicans in Congress identify as Christians."

Figures

Nobody running for an election to the senate or house would ever admit to being an atheist or agnostic. It would be the kiss of death.

Maybe we need a catchy new title, how about β€œCitizens United”? Oh shit, that has already been taken....

But that’s fine.......I’ve never had a problem with standing out. Shows your not a blind follower.

How many Congresscritters get wealthier while they are in Congress? How much wealthier do they get?

Question is why do multi-millionaires want such picayune jobs....

@Canndue Ask them.

@Canndue Because they want the power, which is often more power than they already had over the country as mere rich people.

@TomMcGiverin Thanx, Tom. I agree.

I know this. As long as religion keeps its hold on the American public we will never make the social advances we need to make to keep up with the other modern countries. We are and will continue to lose our influence and the trust of our allies. Not that there is much of that left.

100%

America is fast becoming a third rate country.

I’ll say it again.......a third rate country.

When you look at Western And Eastern Europe’s infrastructure, as well as Scandinavia just to name 1 or 2, Their Airports, Seaports, Roadways, Railways, etc etc.......as well as the way peoples lives are like there.......Lifestyle, overall satisfaction in life.......

Countries like Deutschland (Germany), England, France, Holland as well as others Employed workers get up to 8 weeks of vacation a year, get paid family leave, maternity leave, plus more than what most workers here can only dream of. Germany, Particularly has strong trade unions as well as the other major And smaller European countries. Where here in the US, 27 or 28 states have so called β€œ Right to work” laws than are basically designed to enrich big business and screw everyone else.

So, should I still think this is the #1 country? FAR FROM IT.

@SeaRay215ex I don't think we have ever been a great country. it was all marketing, the one thing we have been very good at since WWll. I agree with you. We are that shithole country Trump was talking about. When unions are strong in this country the economy is stronger.

@SeaRay215ex change the f to an h, lose the t, and add e where the ing was and I would agree.

Was Faith Hill elected?

What is Faith’s hourly rate?

@yvilletom ask her

People need to separate their politics and their religion.

@Hages the dems don't do shit in this aspect either. Tell it to all.

People need to start believing in evidence and logic.

@Hages I am a former Republican but the party as we know it is going to die. Members of the Lincoln Project will work on this with others in the coming months regardless of how long it takes.

@Hages I mean it will be re-molded away from what it has become today.

That’s definitely more easier said than done!! (most of the time).

Amen

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.