Agnostic.com

9 2

Elmhurst Cigar Store puts up sign to keep Biden voters out

[chicago.cbslocal.com]

Dyl1983 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was just looking up anti-discrimnation laws the other day and it does indeed say political affliation is not a protected class in certain places where there are these laws for others.

I don't smoke cigars, but if the sign said, "Trump voters stay out!" I would, as a Biden voter, buy my cigars elsewhere. The super-elite are dividing us deliberately, so we're so busy fighting each other we ignore them. They CREATED Trump voters deliberately, so I don't blame them.

Most Biden voters are smart enough not to smoke, and are considerate enough to wear masks in times of pandemic.
So who cares?
This sounds like just another way for Trump fascists to be whinebabies!

How would they know? Maybe they are telepathetic.

The absence of a red MAGA hat, or a beerbelly, and the presence of a microbrain , tells a Trumpy that you are not a member of their cult.

How would anyone know? People who think they know me claim I am a former Republican turned Democrat. Wrong. I am a Progressive.

But wait....they admit there are/were Biden voters? LOL!

It is not a freedom of speech issue, it is a discrimination case. He says he can't be sued? I think he's sorely mistaken. If it were a private club, he still couldn't choose to restrict people. Even then, a public pronunciation like that could expose him to litigation. That will happen with all this media attention. The lawyers are out there.

@Wisterious That would be incorrect. They can ask you to leave . They can't put a sign that says no gays, no atheists, no Jews, no Muslims, no Democrats, no Republicas, no blacks, no Asians. It's discrimination That not only exposes them to civil litigation, they can be shut down. It's not the same as having a dress code or public health requirements

@Wisterious "but the refusal can’t be arbitrary and you can’t apply it to just one group of people."
"a baker refused to create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple"

If he had refused to allow them in his bakery and refused to sell them a ready made cake, simply because they are gay, that is discriminating. It's different than refusing to make a specialty cake for them. That is how the court role, though some justices disagreed and voted he couldn't discriminate at all.

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone” sounds vague and arbitrary. As we’ve seen, a business can’t just randomly refuse to serve someone.

This article is consistent with what I said.

There is a silver lining to this story. The store owner says if it affects his business, he'll just smoke all the cigars himself!

@Wisterious Even worse than cigarettes, I believe!👍

I prefer it when assholes are up front about it instead of playing games of politeness. Saves me time and grief.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:567566
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.