Agnostic.com

13 10

George Carlin, you liberals like him, maybe you ought to listen to him

Thirst2learn 7 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I recall in the late 1980's in the London Evening Standard newspaper there was a cartoon that appeared poking fun at Political Correctness. The cartoon featured ' Snow Grey And The Seven Persons Of Restricted Growth.' Shortly thereafter the characters in the story were referred to as being ' vertically challenged.' At the time I thought it was becoming absurd.

Undoubtedly, since the time George Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948 much has changed in the world and not least the ways in which we use language. I think that to demonize or dehumanize an individual or group of people because you disagree with them is to regard your thoughts to be more important than their life and we all know where that leads.

"Sir I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it," Voltaire. For me freedom of speech does not mean that anybody has the right to denigrate or offend another.

Not everything that George Carlin said was correct and not everything that great composer composed gives me the same feeling. However, I do think that he drew our attention to how language was used in the preceding decades.

Political correctness has been a major driving force in the eradication of language and behaviour that contemporary society deems unacceptable. As one generation replaces another change takes place. Jokes told in the preceding decades are no longer considered to be funny by some members of the older generation whilst other laugh at them like nothing has changed.

Nobody will ever agree with anybody 100% on anything because that is how it is and if I expect somebody to agree with me to that extent that I had better visit the local cemetery.

@Thirst2learn Whatever you or I say there will always be someone who chooses to be offended by it. 🙂

You agree with people, you disagree with people - I will not claim Carlin to be correct on all points (though I believe he is correct on many), just as he would doubtless have disagreed with me on some.

Who among us is correct all of the time. All edgy comedians take on subjects in order to gage what society will tolerate. Carlin observed, comment with brilliant humor, & was wrong much as we are. The history of comedy evolves of society by taking on taboo subjects. Those that are 1st to take on these topics are first vilified, then argued over, then accepted, or not. Remember Andrew Dice Clay? Neither does anyone else.

For true

Political correctness works in more than just one political direction.

Let’s face it, some political correctness is absurd....but not all.

Not caring about or reasonably respecting others says more about you than them...

File this one under "No Shit Sherlock".

You liberals like him? I liked Carlin before I knew what I was.

Oh boy. We've got one of those people with generations of single line family trees.... damn it what are they called.... uh its on the tip of my tongue.... oh yeah domestic terrorist traitors.

@Thirst2learn no I'm talking about you low IQ, delusional, shallow gene pool trumpers.

@Nessie_W This guy is a fuckin’ moron. Why waste time arguing with an idiot?

If Chump told him to run up and down the street with a dildo in his ass he would do it. If Chump told him to get a sex change he would probably do it.

@CuddyCruiser funny how when everybody came in with facts that imbecile never came back lol

TRUMPANZEE

@Gwendolyn2018 Rumor has it "he" was dismayed at the "type" of people were in the mob. Not the type to be invited to Mara Lago. The boycott grows.

Love Carlin but disagree with this I will always do my best to call most people what they want to be called. I do call it manners which are basically just that consideration for others. I am not foolish enough to think I can force anyone else to be considerate. If they want to be inconsiderate, they will be.

I do call some people things they don't want to be called and I do it because I do not respect or like them. Could that be the same reason some other people insist on calling others what they don't like to be called?

Carlin was funny, but not always right. Lol

A lot of us do!!!

Too many his wisdom and thoughts go in one ear, then right out the other ear!!!

More moronic idiots laugh because they are too stupid to comprehend the real severity of his reflections!!!

Carlin was often correct in his observations, but not always.

Fuckin' meow.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:568124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.