Agnostic.com

4 1

To me, the difference between Agnostics Atheists can be boiled down to this: atheists are pessimistic, agnostic don't know what to think

Storm1752 8 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ahh, another false dichotomy. I've often wondered at the purpose of reducing obviously complex differences between people and philosophies to simplistic dichotomies. Maybe it's so that people who think in mainly black and white can bring some sort of understanding to a complex world.

It's very subjective and it could just as easily be stated that Atheists are realists and Agnostics are confused or befuddled. Does it matter which part of non-belief a person is indentifying as?

@DangerDave I stand by my comparison, while at the same time realizing it's all relative.

@DangerDave To me, Agnostics do not resort to pat answers and look upon those with 'beliefs' as inherently mistaken.

@DangerDave Out of curiosity, when have you seen any atheists (as opposed to "agnostics" ) recruiting people to burn down churches?

That's usually people of one religion burning a different religion's churches. Both agnostics and atheists, in my experience, simply want to be left well alone.

@DangerDave "Denunciation" is not an "apologetic", there's no evidence that anyone recuited anyone to commit this crime, and it doesn't indicate that the church was targeted "because their god didn't exist"- it's obviously related somehow to the pandemic. And there's no indication of how many were involved, it's as likely to be a lone arsonist as anything.

I don't see how your reference to 1/6 is at all relevant. But kudos for trying, I guess.

@DangerDave It's not irrelevant; condemning someone else's misdeed is the exact opposite of acknowledging or excusing their offense. if your "potential publisher" thinks otherwise, they have their head up their ass, not to put too fine a point on it.

And you will remove anything I have written from whatever you seem to be writing. You DO NOT have permission to quote me in any other format, any more than you would have permission to quote something I said to you in conversation. You are here under false pretenses.

You seem to be ethically challenged, and I suggest your "publisher" needs a dictionary and a lawyer.

@DangerDave It's not your publisher that needs the dictionary, it's you.

Start with looking up "delusions of grandeur". Then consult your mirror.

"If there's no great, glorious ending, if nothing we do matters... then all that matters is what we do."

That's not pessimism, it's humanism. It's a call to action; it's a call to live every day the best we can. (It's also a quote I swiped from Joss Whedon, so don't tell anybody.)

If nothing matters and you're as sure of it as sure can be, why "live every day the best you can?" It's irrelevant.

@Storm1752 Because, although nothing we do matters in the sense that religion looks at it, the sense that a god is judging us and is going to reward or punish us eternally.... everything we do matters everyday in the real world, to ourselves, to the people around us, to future generations. And since the real world is all that I'm sure exists, that's all that matters.

And if I'm wrong, if there turns out to be some kind of god after all, that god is unworthy if he/she/it expects us to ignore the real needs of real people in favor of some pie-in-the-sky afterlife for which they've given us no evidence. I prefer to go to hell rather than spend eternity with, for example, the God of the Old Testament, who is frankly a tyrant and a monster.

@Paul4747 I'm not saying we develop a conscience because 'god' gives a rat's butt, but because we have an instinctual gravitation toward it, the same gravitational pull which keeps us anchored to the ground and not going flying off into space. My idea is it's all the same thing.

@Storm1752 I simply took issue with your initial posit that atheists are pessimists. I presented you an atheist, humanist, optimistic philosophy. I'm not sure where you're going with it now. You seem to be taking off toward a discussion of the evolutionary roots of morality, which I endorse and which is backed by science, but which I see as irrelevant to the topic you started with.

Hardly pessimistic, if there were a god(s) that would be a bad thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:571423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.