Agnostic.com

7 20

People are turning in family members, ex-romantic partners they recognize in Capitol riot footage.

Trump's anti-mask + "Stop the Steal" madness = identifying rioters.

Children, siblings and spouses were horrified watching the insurrection — especially when they spotted people they knew in the crowd.

As millions of Americans watched scenes of pro-Trump mobs attacking the U.S. Capitol earlier this month, some viewers saw something familiar on their TV screens — their own family and friends.

The FBI has been leaning on spouses, siblings, children and former romantic partners who spotted their loved ones assaulting the Capitol and responded by dropping a dime on them.

"There are plenty of people, I don’t think it was so hard to report someone (even family)," said Michele Galietta, a psychology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City.

"Does that mean you enjoy it? No. I think it’s regrettable and I think most people would be upset they had to do it, but felt it was absolutely the right thing to do.”

Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Larry Brock was arrested after his former wife of 18 years contacted the FBI National Threat Operations Center on Jan. 8 saying she recognized him in footage.

"I just know that when I saw this was happening I was afraid he would be there," she told an FBI agent, according to an affidavit supporting charges against Brock. "I think you already know he was there. It is such a good picture of him and I recognize his patch."

Not long after the riot, insurrectionists knew they could be in trouble, with their largely unmasked faces in clear view, especially to family members and friends thousands of miles away.

Accused rioter Guy Reffitt, an apparent member of a Texas militia group, even threatened his adult children if they "crossed the line and reported" dad to authorities, according a criminal complaint.

Reffitt allegedly said he would "do what he had to do" to his own family members in such an event, prompting the young man to ask: "Are you threatening us?"

"(Reffitt) responded with words to the effect of, 'Don't put words in my mouth,'" FBI Special Agent Thomas Ryan wrote in the criminal complaint against Reffitt. "(The son) understood (Reffitt's) statements to be a threat to (the son's) life."

Little did Reffitt know, as he allegedly made that threat, son Jackson Reffitt had apparently already made that call.

"I got in contact with the FBI after the Capitol riots about my dad," the younger Reffitt told KDFW.

"It's this mob mentality and cult-like feeling to it, so there's a real concern of where we're headed and seeing a loved one being part of it," said Elizabeth Jeglic, another psychology professor at John Jay College.

"This is not Uncle Bob or Aunt Jane anymore. This is a mob of people attacking our nation, our freedom our values and that is not what your family values are about. When you see that, it can be very devastating."

[.nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, it is mob mentality. Through it all you hear "take back our country" as a banner cry. Some idiot was going to kill AOC and another one Pelosi. Does that give you your country back? It gives you life in prison maybe. Trump convinced his followers to hate anything bipartisan. He had a plan. Blame China and Mexicans at our border. Stir some hatred. Now Trump is out and the hatred is still there, so what do you do? Can these people ever face reality?

A chilling quote for you... "If the day should ever come when we must go, if some day we are compelled to leave the scene of history, we will slam the door so hard that the universe will shake and mankind will stand back in stupefaction." ~ Joseph Goebbels
And so Trump's playbook followed a familiar pattern.

6 people are DEAD...turn those bastards in...

I hope the FBI rounds them all up and puts them in prison. No tRump to pardon them. tRump hung them out to dry. The rioters fail to over throw this country's government.

I hope it calms down, but there is still potential for further action by the anti-government supporters.

@dave1459
If you were one of them, would you want the death sentence?

It took great courage for people to turn in members of their families. It’s not easy to put myself in their place because my entire family and my friends are unlikely to become involved with neo nazis or conspiracies like QAnon, but I’d bet this isn’t the first time they’ve been worried about their crazy uncle. What those people in DC were doing on 1/6 was wrong. They were planning to kill legislators and the Vice President, and they came prepared to do it. And if they were misled, they need to learn a lesson even if it’s the hard way. At a certain point, if you know your uncle was complicit, you must ask yourself if you become part of the problem if you don’t act. Silence implies agreement.

Unless enough of the population supports the power and authority of the system, and a significant element of 'Trumpers' are still willing to fight for the 'stolen election' (because the Democrats got more votes) to be overturned then you could see more acts of insurrection or resistance - depending on perspective.

Those people were a murderous mob trying to turn over an election. There have to be consequences for sedicious actions.

Sadly, the reason for their actions lay in their 'patriotism' to fight against those who stole the election from them, by having a greater number of votes!
However, the fact remains that they see the election as being rigged. Which if one thinks about it is odd, as the norm for a rigged election usually sits with the incumbent power as they control the means of doing so. Rather than the opposition having control over government and legal infrastructures capable of doing so.

I hope it all settles down, as when people in large numbers begin to accuse people then a wycht hunt can overwhelm a nation.

What "witch hunt"?
There haven't been ANY.

What witch hunt? Are you a tRump supporter?

If I had a family member who participated in the insurrection, I would certainly turn him or her in. That would apply even to my own children. Some actions are so wrong that they must be highly discouraged by any legal means.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:572349
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.