Agnostic.com

7 12

A new species found. 42 feet long, how could we have missed it until now?

[npr.org]

glennlab 10 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NPR is reliable. For those that have trouble distinguishing from those sources that are not reliable.

interesting

They have always been in plain site!!

Super confused how they could have just discovered it, but also know how many of them exist.

They were able to determine thrpugh DNA the relationship to each other, the question was whether they were Bryde's (pronounced "broodus" ) whales or a different species, they had to wait until they found a carcus to examine. They first proposed that this was a new species in the early 2000's it wasn't until 2019 that they had a body to examine.

@glennlab Ah, thank you. I must have missed that part.

They knew about them, but only recently discovered that they are not a previously known species. Even after they suspected that they were a separate species, they weren't able to confirm it for a few years.

Is it politically incorrect to say they all look alike to me?
I’m glad someone noticed, this is the sort of thing an education helps with.

Wild find

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 29, 2021

Cool articles. Ashamed there may be only 100

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:572842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.