Agnostic.com

4 9

LINK I Grew Up Evangelical and the Christian Nationalist Insurrection Did Not Surprise Me | Religion Dispatches

On Wednesday, January 6, I, like almost everyone else in America, watched as a mob of predominantly white domestic terrorists stormed the Capitol, in an attempt to prevent the Senate from certifying the electoral college vote in favor of Joseph Biden, a claim that, at its core, is based on the idea that voter fraud was committed by Black and Brown voters. Many of the insurgents bore flags specifically referencing Christianity. There were the Jesus 2020 flags, which resemble Trump banners; flags with the the ichthys, the Christian fish; an American flag that read “Make America Godly Again”; a banner proclaiming, “Jesus is my Savior” on one side, and “Trump is my President” on the other; as well as the “official” Christian flag with the red cross against a blue background.

However horrifying I find the spectacle of white Christians storming the Capitol in hopes of keeping Donald Trump in power, I do not find it at all surprising, because I grew up in the Christian nationalist movement. Growing up I came to understand firsthand that many Christian nationalists view people who don’t practice their form of Christianity as illegitimate. I also came to understand how racism is ingrained in the teachings of the white evangelical church.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Christians want to go back to 1958 when they went to church every Sunday and the church was filled with white shiny faces.

My extended family are those 'good' christians. The ones who will overlook anything in a person who claims to be of their faith 😟
Catholics need not apply.

These are some very dangerous people.

The confederacy isn't dead, it just hid in White Southern evangelical Churches.
Those guys blow, I grew up with it.
No one should be shocked at what's happened, but they are because "NORMAL" people aren't raised in typical Southern White Churches as I was.
These people are ignorant, vile, and excessively aggressive and always have been.
Every Civil Rights suppression effort was driven by these monsters.
They are the basis of all anti-education efforts.
They despise Science for rejecting their ignorance.

Call them by their true name, Nazis..

Just like the great exodus north after WWII by blacks seeking a better life these white evangelicals spread west and to the north west, to rural areas. Unlike those who left seeking a better life these people seek to suppress the human spirit. For some they seem to delight in the control and abuse of their followers.
In short a huge fucking danger to democracy.

@silverotter11

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:572843
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.