Agnostic.com

8 10

LINK Teenager Sues Lebanon School District (PA) Over Pledge-Related Punishments | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

A 16-year-old student from Pennsylvania is suing the Lebanon School District, claiming they punished him for refusing to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance.

The student, only named “X.F.” in the lawsuit since he’s a minor, says that he doesn’t want to stand for the Pledge due to his “religious and political beliefs.” That act of defiance began last October. He “sat quietly and respectfully, causing no disturbance,” but his teacher told him he had to stand up. When X.F. said no, he was sent to the office of Assistant Principal Dave Bentz.

Bentz told X.F. the same thing: He had to stand for the Pledge… in part because that’s how teachers determined “whether students are in compliance with the District’s dress code.”

X.F. never had any dress code issues, but he offered to stand for that before or after the Pledge. Apparently that wasn’t good enough. He was given an “in-school suspension” every time he failed to stand for the Pledge — and therefore the dress code check.

snytiger6 9 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Highly indicative of the general culture in those parts. Maybe it's not the Bible belt, but it's certainly highly bigoted and prejudiced area. If you don't fall in line, you turn into a target. I'm glad there is some support for them to push back against this erosion of civil liberty.

All of this BS thanks to Donald Trump. The Trump take on the Pledge was about as fake as Trump is and was to divert attention from civil rights issues.

Lebanon County is a big Trumplican area, They refused mask mandates, and most other COVID mitigation efforts by the Democratic Governor. Not knowing or acknowledging Federal Law is no surprise.

Another lesson but this time the student has taught the school (a lesson they should not forget).

I guess nobody told the school about the US Supreme Court case West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943).

I hope the school district gets ripped a good one.

When I was teaching, in Pennsylvania, the state passed a must pledge law, but the courts threw it out. At the time, the school in which I taught didnt pledge. I read the law and told my homeroom, if it passes the courts we, those willing, can sing the national anthem instead of pledging (legal according to the law) loudly and in any key.

Parts of PA are pretty messed up.
I remember inHS, I stood but didn't pledge. They would not say anything to me since they let the JW's do the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:573430
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.