Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Democrats Consider Withholding Coronavirus Stimulus Checks From Wealthier Households | HuffPost

Democrats are exploring ways to limit the cost of stimulus checks that would go to households in hopes of gaining Republican support for their next coronavirus pandemic relief bill.

During a meeting at the White House on Wednesday, President Joe Biden and top Senate Democrats held “a conversation about the direct payments and how those might be modified in a way to ensure they’re targeted,” Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) told reporters.

snytiger6 9 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree the wealthier or those earning over X# of dollars with the exception if they are unemployed now because of covid

giving money to people who will not spend it is not a good idea. It will not be invested into the economy and so it will not help the economy. Since the people already have enough to make it a savings account is its destination.

Everybody isn't hurting financially. That's a fact. The money should to go people who aren't able to pay their bills, not just those who have been inconvenienced, which is everybody.

I think the only thing I've heard from Republicans in five years that I agree with is that people still employed and earning six or more digits really don't need assistance.
I really hate agreeing with fascist on anything, but the idea of Wilbur Ross or Mitch McConnell getting a stimulus check makes my butt cheeks try to gnaw a hole in my underwear.
Still I fear they'll try to lower the threshold to like 40k a year or so, just to screw more of us over.

I agree. There proposed cut off was $50k I believe, but &75k might be better. Or progressively reduced amounts between 50 and 75. If you’re making $100k + the virus is not affecting your life in any significant way.

@Barnie2years I'm for 75K cutoff and progressive reduction to 125k.
The reason is in California there's people earning 100K that have to sleep in their cars in the overpriced rent and extravagant health and services market in the tech areas.
So perhaps reginal economics should be considered as well, at the risk of simple people calling it unfair that people making that much money get stimulus while they don't at smaller salaries. It's a question of focus, do we focus on who needs help, or some overly simple code that doesn't look at the economic realities.
Everyone should at the very least be able to eat every day.
I can't say I can do that without running a tab with our Roach-Coach and that's with a salary of 76.5.
It doesn't seem that it should be a hand to mouth existence with no dependents, but prescription cost, car insurance, medical bills, cell phone service, and credit bills are absolutely overwhelming.
Honestly I feel like I live on a razors edge. Do I eat cheap two one dollar menu items at a drive through so I can get a room, or do I sleep in my car and eat enough to fill up. There's a lot to consider, I could stand to lose a few pounds you know.
My Christian background keeps offering me this guilt that I slam the door on. Is it just my bad management skills? I don't know, but there's about twelve more that I can point to in the parking lot of the local municipal park. Two can live a lot cheaper than one if both work, so couples are rare, but not unknown in the mobile working high tech homeless community.

@Willow_Wisp I understand what you are saying, but a one time stimulus check is not going to cure regional income disparity. But it will go a long way to help the wait service, hotel service ant millions of others in all areas of the country who’s hours have been slashed, who lost even the smallest of benefits they had. Or couples who have lost one income due to medical issues.
Sadly, regional income and housing issues are a whole other financial problem that needs to be addressed on its own. If you’re having troubles making ends meet at over $75k imagine what the thousands making 50k or less with a couple of kids are going through. Affordable housing is a national outrage, especially in urban areas or tech heavy locations. I had a friend used to drive two hours to his teaching job, even though it paid far more than local ones, because the housing costs were so much cheaper here. Of course to the underpaid teachers here, it didn’t seem like such a bargain.
But back on subject, a one time $1,400 check is not going to solve all out financial inequality problems. For many people, that will barely cover a month’s rent.

@Barnie2years Exactly, so it's better to give it to everyone then it is to not give it to enough.
Just put a 500,000 limit on it. Pocket cash is the life blood of main street.

You do have a way with words.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574197
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.