Agnostic.com

7 4

My nephew is a typical southern Republican. Even though he was only 7 ears old when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act were passed, he cites them as the reasons why he is a conservative Republican. What he is, is a bigot; and I am ashamed of him.

wordywalt 9 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So what kinds of reasons does he give?

In general, he does not give any lother reason. Sometimes, though, he talks about his "southern heritage." I have told him several times that I grew up in the same county as he did, and his "southern heritage" damned sure is not mine.

@wordywalt So the usual, just because.

Southern bigotry is White privilege. White privilege, especially white male privilege dies hard. Its a cancer that rots the brain.

Typical for Southern bigots

That makes him 65 years old.
Bad ideas are dying off in our crowd.
Good thing too.

In 1968 after the killing of MLK Jr and the civil unrest I thought the same thing. Said to myself and others that thank goodness that in 50 years all these haters will be dead. Well most of them are, but replaced by crazier ones.

Brainwashed by parents or the conservative mindset of today.

That would definitely be distressing and disappointing. I have a cousin in the Orlando area whom I'm pretty sure would have voted for Trump and probably doesn't interact much with people of color.

Deb57 Level 8 Feb 5, 2021

So sorry you have to deal with this! I hope you don't have to see him very often.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574455
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.