Agnostic.com

12 22

How have you stopped a self-defeating behavior?

In 2004, I wrote this proclamation. My teen girl Claire signed as a witness. Chose my birthday to make it a momentous occasion.

Little did I know it's a lifelong challenge. Since 2004, I have been working on it every day. My favorite part is that I will make mistakes and try again. And:

"Let life unfold."

"This is very wise," Lindsey, the man I'm dating, said after reading it. "I tend to be a perfectionist, too."

My perfectionism comes from being an adult child of an alcoholic. Nothing I did was good enough for Dad. How I tried to be perfect! It never worked.

Teeth clenching is a painful offshoot of perfectionism. I cracked molars.

Last year, I realized it relaxes my jaw to place the tip of my tongue between my teeth with lips closed. I do it before sleeping, and while driving and reading. No more jaw pain.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Until this moment I never knew you had any imperfections.

@BitFlipper

Very funny! I'm human. Nobody is perfect.

I am not a perfectionist but I have always had low self esteem. I am working on changing that and it feels good. I think a lot of my problems have to do with my upbringing.

Good statement!

Every bit as important as asking how we have stopped self defeating behavior is getting us to consider if we are stuck in some kind of self defeating behavior. I'm going to give that some thought, parts of my life are going nowhere and time is getting a bit short.

"Perfection, but what is Perfection but an unachievable concept imagined by a mind contained within an imperfect being." -William Anthony, 2021.

Speaking from my personal experiences,
Earning any state of Perfection is goodness, as long as you know that
"Any Failure combined with Personal Resilience On
e Step Towards One's Personal Goal towards Perfection"
🙂

While I've not formally drafted a document about it, I have made a conscious effort to let go of perfectionism in myself and what I expect from others. Instead, while I strive for excellence in things I do, I allow myself a bit more freedom to just do things my way and not kick myself so much when I don't reach perfection. It's so much more freeing to have this small change in attitude. Yes, it's a lifelong challenge, but gets easier with practice! 🙂

Along the same lines...to strive for perfection is a virtue....to expect perfection, in yourself, or others is irrational.. had to suffer near insanity before accepting. Too often self-defeating habits are as simple as having them identified.

There have been a few brief moments When I have had concerns about my slackerism, but seeing posts like this help me not to worry about it much. thanks.

Love it, It has worked for you ,Your right if you put it into words it means so much more and easier for one to strive continually to attain

So, how is it going? I used to have a problem with trying to be constantly strong but got over it after it almost killed me.

@Jolanta

Good question. I support you.

Instead of fretting, I learned to play and experiment with cooking and baking. The results are amazing! So what if the bread didn't rise enough? It still tastes good. I figure out why and try again.

Self-criticism occurs when I'm tired. "There's Dad's 'not good enough' voice again," I think. When I acknowledge my critical inner voice, it loses its power.

This wonderful book by psychologist Rick Carson helped me:

"Taming Your Gremlin- A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way."

But with sewing, I let my perfectionist freak flag fly!

"I have pockets of sloth," I reassured Lindsey when he walked into my clean, organized home. "Don't look in my top desk drawer."

My home is a calming sanctuary. Have been organized since a child.

"You are the only person I know who had a pot of chili ready for the the movers when you moved into a new place," a longtime friend marveled.

@LiterateHiker One has to acknowledge that one has a problem to be able to deal with it first before anything else. That is a big step forward. You would freak out if you came to my home. I am a hoarder but trying to change that. It's going so, so. Take care.

Cool

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.