Agnostic.com

25 21

Would you like to live simply?

I have a fairly simple life. I like the sentiment of this meme and already live some of it. How about you? Is this the kind of life you would like to live? Do you already live like this? How has that worked for you?

BeeHappy 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The older I get the more I appreciate it.

There is a piece of wisdom if there there was one. 🙂

Retired and I don't live by a clock. If I want to sleep in or take a walk, I can. Purging stufff from my life also helps. The one thing I can't control is the weather, other than that it's all good.,

ebdb Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

I do live this way now that I’m retired, but was not ever able to escape the rule of the clock while employed.

skado Level 9 Apr 14, 2018

Not only would I want to, I am. I was fortunate to be offered an early retirement package that got me out of the corporate rat race. I retired to Hawaii, bought a small, off-grid house, and set up shop as a handyman. I take only the jobs I enjoy; building an art school out of a garage, making frames for the paintings of my artist friends, even making "special" furniture for my naughty friends. ?
None of this pays much, but I don't need much.

Ludo Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

Wow, that's great!

I work three days a week still, so four are mine. I'm in sort of a halfway house to freedom now after working since I was 12 years old. There is an adjustment to make, letting go of things that don't really matter, and rediscovering the things that do.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

I really like that last sentence

Yes and no. To me, this is too egocentric. I want to be active and give. I want to share with another and others. I want to be involved yet limit my negative impact. I want to evolve and move forward. I want to be disciplined and use a sense of reason. I want to be more than just another sentient, yet unware animal, I want to use my mind and body for positive things that don't just impact me.

Jack, why can't you do all of these things while living simply? You can do them and more. Each individual designs their own simplicity.

@BeeHappy I (and later my late partner) were involved in the "volunteer simplicity" movement ( it is still active). One reason I moved to this island is that I could become somewhat self-sufficient and do all that I mentioned. I'm confident there is nowhere in this state one can do as much toward sustains a community as this place does!

Sounds like a plan but unfortunately we all have responsibilities that involve us getting up every day to go make the doughnuts.

And we thank you for those doughnuts. We really do!

I want doughnuts... Mmmm, doughnuts.

?

I do want to live simply. As long as I can have my books..😉

Yep, books, can't live without them!

Is it inappropriate to say I just want to get laid?

Not at all. Jyst have a few beers first.

Has that ever stopped you?

@Rudy1962 US!

@phxbillcee true

I repeat, just have a few beers first, makes it easier to say the words.

In other words, life live freely, and yes I agree with that sentiment. Can't say I presently live like this, but I'm working on it...

I live simply in a nice mysterious mobille home on a half acre lot. I do have to cut the grass and I work 3 hours a day M thru F but otherwise I'm just me. That means I'm an 18 year old inside this older body and my life involves doing the things I like. I am a recluse to my neighbors and not involved in anything they do.

Since being forced to retire which made me a road warrior I am content to take one day at a time and let spontaneity lead me in different directions.

The primary responsibility and obligation I have at this time is my two little dogs. I was insistent on keeping them after my last divorce, and the ex didn't argue about it. They keep me anchored, in many ways, but they've only got a few short years left. After that, my obligations (primarily self-imposed) will be to my daughter and her family, however that may manifest.

At present, I do live quite simply, for the most part. I have few, if any, expectations.

I do live simply. Have no money to do otherwise.

I'm all in for it. In fact, I'm simply doing that now. All you complex peoples can simply simplify or perhaps learn to relax a bit more.

SamL Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

That is pretty much how l have lived my adult life. Free from adult supervision. 99% of the time l eat when l want and sleep when l want. I haven't worn a watch since the 70's. The only places where l need to be on time are gigs and my annual physical. For me life is about freedom.

A Wonderful Life! LOL

@BeeHappy l don't know about wonderful but it ain't been bad. )

@BeeHappy

No, this is not the life I want to live, because to live simply makes a person soft in the head. Growing as a person is a big part of writing a good story for one's life, so wanting to do hedonism is an undeveloped stage to live in.

Sorry, but I must disagree.
First, a good number of us are retired or semi-retired after putting in 50+ years of work, not all but most. So we have already done quite a bit of growing and specifically in this group of people, we thrive on growth.

Second, many of us are at our most creative now, using that creativity, whatever it is, does NOT make us soft in the head. (I actually resent that statement.)

Third, Sure we are in the pursuit of pleasure, we deserve it, we've earned it. Sometimes that pleasure comes when we do things for others, when we volunteer, when we create a picture that makes someone smile. Hedonism isn't all bad.

@BeeHappy

I respect your premise in saying that, but I maintain my own premise.

It's a fantasy of mine. I'm planning on simplifying in a few years but for now, lots of complexities. ?

Been there, done that. That's my life now. I even go and let myself get wet by rain, under good temperature mind you. No Boss, not responsible for anyone. Not even a pet enslaving me. Sometimes delaying for many hours charging the cellphone back. Poor and irresponsible companion. No tv shows. Not listening to messages, maybe reading a text. Simply that Simple of a life. Can go weeks without listening to music. Simply, Simply. And thinking on pseudo semi shut down this entertainment venue. Simply living wihout afiliations, groupings or labels. When I want to feel something real... I go Salsa dancing. I want to be annoyed by that one that can... friend date with EX GF. She knows is Safe with me. Simply Safe for 16 years. Why Change It? Simply!

Yes. I do love this way every chance I get.

Will there still be alcohol, music, books, sex and cigarettes? Then yes.

Wow, great share! Thank you!!

This is my goal. I am close, have been close before.

Good for you!

Sounds great. I love my work but am conflicted about retirement, which I could conceivably pull off in about 5 years, or sooner in a pinch.

Living simply is hard to do when you're not alone, and being financially independent helps alot.

That said, my wife and I are well past what we call the "acquisitive" or nest-building years ... I don't see any more major acquisitions or home rennovations or anything like that in our future. Our children are all out of the nest, and that simplifies things quite a bit.

I'm semi-retired and don't really need to work anymore. I generally make my own schedule, walk my dog for a couple of hours a day by Puget Sound, do what I want when I want. No complaints.

To live by the meme, you have to be willing to be poor or be finacially comfortable. No big responsibilities like pets, kids, etc. If everyone were like this, nothing would get done. I think it is a fantasy for most.

Most of us that live simply have pets and I know of some that are taking care of elderly parents that's a big responsibility. Personally, I have never had less, but also have never been happier. I don't think that makes me poor, I feel rich! Many of us now have the time to participate in activities that we couldn't before - petitions, marches, volunteer groups of all kinds, trying to get things done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57547
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.