Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK Phys.org: Atheists and believers both have moral compasses, but with key differences.

A rather scientific perspective on the morality of believers and non believers. I thought it was interesting at least. 🖖

RealisticEyes 4 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No shit, Sherlock.

An interesting read! Thanks for sharing.

In part, this coincides with research of Jonathan Haidt, who found moral differences between liberals and conservatives that were consistent in cultures around the world. He called three of the factors that conservatives are higher on "in-group" (group cohesion) "authority," and "purity" (sanctity).

Jonathan Haidt: The Moral Roots of Liberals and Conservatives.
[ted.com]

So it seems to be saying, that the difference between atheist morality and theist morality, is that theist morality is more grounded in "us and them" but atheists are more generous to everyone. No big surprise there then.

Human evolution and the structure of society are responsible for our morals. All of this is ever changing and is not the same in every culture. I hate the term "moral compass" and it seems like more religious people have that to me. It is because they think their god gave them something.

I agree whole heartedly about other cultures having different morality. I try hard to take the time to get to know a little of the culture of someone new I meet. That little bit of time spent to contextualize their morality and culture can take someone alien and turn them into a friend.

@RealisticEyes May one ask as to why you appear to refer to those who are not as you are as being "Alien?"

@Triphid Just from the perspective of being different than ones self. Not meant in an offensive way.

@RealisticEyes IF that be so then WHY NOT simply refer to them as being either Strangers or merely foreigners instead?

Speaking for myself as only anyone truly can here, Atheist Morality comes from sources such as Empathy, Kindness, Understanding of Others, etc, etc, and the things that have passed down through generation after generation from the beginnings of Human Evolution.
Atheists do NOT seek reward/s BECAUSE they MUST do so according to Arcane religious teachings, instead they do so BECAUSE they instinctively know it IS the RIGHT thing to do.
Theists on the other hand, well I'll leave that up to you to decide as why they tend to think of Morality as they do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.