Agnostic.com

7 6

How to find out what each state is proposing to either restrict voting rights or expand voting rights.
[brennancenter.org]

silverotter11 9 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The right to run for office has been destroyed since 1980 after John Anderson was allowed to debate ReaGUN and Carter....only billionaire Ross Perot purchased his right to debate DUOPOLY fascism

How does this Justice Brennan Center deal with the facts 19 stateS illegally kicked WWW.HOWIEHAWKINS.US off ballots last year ??? Covering up the coup de rat is not democracy it is fascism

It's a little tricky here in New York State. The state constitution permits absentee voting only if the voter is "absent from their county of residence, ill, or physically disabled". We were permitted to vote by mail last year only because the governor interpreted the pandemic situation as making everyone "ill".

This year there should be an amendment on the ballot to allow unqualified absentee voting.

It is still an alarming fact that had only white males been allowed to vote, then only Washington and Oregon would have voted for Biden. The USA has a very serious racist problem.

I don't know about that. A lot of us horrid White Males in New York voted for Biden.

Uummmm, what? Such BS!

@BitFlipper This was shown from electoral voting analysis. Adding White females turn a few North Eastern states for Biden. I'm sure if you can be bothered to look you will find that I am correct.
AnneWimsey: Dismissing what I say is both rude and unconsidered. I actually know what I wrote.
[wsws.org]

Good information but I am confused on the item for my state, Washington. We have had mail-in ballots for years and are strongly democratic. As a long time poll worker I have learned some important issues to help control the stupidity of many voters. I also understand the importance of voters knowing the rules and learning about issues and people. When working the polls we answered a lot of questions about what to do if a voter did not know about an issue or person on the ballot (don't vote for it). One thing that really bothered me was a lot of ballots were in Chinese. To me, if you don't know the lingua franca how can you know about the issues or people. I do believe there should be some control on who can vote. However, in some areas, the pendulum has swung too far to the right and the liberals want it too far to the left.

Because there are no newspapers, TVstations, etc in other languages anywhere?

50% of the population have an IQ of 100 or less. Many of these people are easily influenced by anything appealing to the prejudices. Likely most of their preferences are due to false information. Trump fed lies and was believed. He enhanced the wealthy but drew most praise from those he did not help at all.

@AnneWimsey Exactly, and they would only vote for things that benefited their tribes. In order for a democracy to work a majority has to be literate. Literacy involves more than reading and writing it involves knowing the issues/politicians in the country you are living.

Trump or Graham I think it was said it best. If everybody votes, the Republicans would never win a presidential election again. Let’s make sure that happens, regardless of how many obstacles they throw in the way!

It should not be a numbers game. It should be an information game.

@JackPedigo It needs to be both. Suppression of voters is a ultra-cynical kind of numbers game that must be countered. Millions of people living in their alternative-facts universe is also a result of decades of cynical misinfornation gamesmanship on the part of leaders on the Right.

@MikeInBatonRouge Still, knowledge should come first. Too many ignorant people vote using what I call a coin toss vote.

@JackPedigo so basically you’re saying that there should be a voter intelligence test. Before you can vote for a candidate, you need to answer a few questions on what their position is on certain issues? Or a voter school, where you go to study up on the background and postions of all the candidates? Or perhaps an originalist who wants to return to the original Constitutional language that only land owners are permitted to vote?
In the day and age informed voting relies on truckloads of totally biased information on candidates who are parsed by their Party to be the most loyal to that Party’s platform. While independents numbers are growing, and more are joining third Party groups, the numbers will never be enough to kill the two Party system. So it always comes down to which can drive the largest number to actually vote for their side, and a popularity contest, having little to do with facts. Truth is relative in politics, it has more to do with personality for most than reality of their promises.

@Barnie2years I worked a polling station for 5 years and heard a ton of stupid questions. Funny, but I learned the average voter didn't even know the basics. Recently, a journalist made a report about the average voter being a nitwit and I concur. Some basic voting rules should be taught in HS. Things like if one doesn't know about a person or issue to leave it blank (too many feel all the items have to be filled out - hence the coin toss comment). Now that we have mail-in ballots there will be all kinds of bad votes. The Democrats think it's about increasing the numbers and the republicans try to corrupt the system to reduce the numbers. No one seems to care about the honesty and quality of voting. Again, this should be a basic course in HS.

A group I was in once had several discussions with a local county council man and he told us all the tricks they pull to get people to vote one way or another. I have learned through experience not conjecture.

They no longer have to serve the broad constituency, they just have to rig the system to retain power. Accuse the other side of cheating, while you're plotting to cheat.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580268
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.