Agnostic.com

2 1

The world we live in today
This a serious article about a cartoon skunk from 1945 being canceled in 2021 because of public outrage at the "normalizing rape culture" because he mistakes a cat for a female skunk.
[nme.com]

LenHazell53 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't get it, are you suggesting that the skunk forcing himself on a female skunk would have been okay but because he mistook a cat for a skunk it is unacceptable? No means No, it's pretty straight forward.

No I am saying a slapstick Maurice Chevalier parody stupid skunk, in a kids cartoon from over half a century ago being seriously treated as something that encourages rape and that is going to turn children in to sexual predators is utterly farcical and deserves to be treated as such.
Pepe le Pew was a flirty character who normally ended up with a lump on his head, who never "forced himself" on anyone. It was slapstick cartoon comedy.
Bugs Bunny didn't teach kids it was okay to steal carrots, daffy duck wasn't there to encourage kids to play with bombs, pepe Le Pew was not an incitement to predatory behaviour.
Only an idiot, or a sensationalist publicity hound would think so.
WB also had a female character that was a giant fat yellow rabbit called Millicent, with a Russian accent that chased male characters with a cry of "Give to me large kisses", was that the end of the world too?

@LenHazell53 If it's just slapstick then you would have no issue with Bugsy and his henchman jamming Bugs Bunny up the ass if they had all wound up in Sing Sing together, it's just a cartoon being shown to impressionable young minds that will have plenty to deal with in the real world that we didn't even have to dream about in our tender years.

@Surfpirate Oh please, I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer, because if you can't see that such is a false dichotomy, it is pointless speaking to you.

@LenHazell53

You are missing the point.

Pepe le Pew is basically a stalker who would never accept "no" from women.

The cartoon teaches children that this despicable behavior is funny. It's NOT.

oh for god sake grow up, it was a cartoon from a different time about a stupid French skunk, a parody of Maurice Chevalier who could not tell the difference between a female skunk and a cat with a white stripe down its back and thought corny lines from romance movies where the height of charm.
Pepe never asked for more than a kiss, it was a KIDS cartoon.
You might as well say Yogi bear was about teaching kids to be picnic thieves, or that Scooby doo was about training teenagers to be junior detectives.
It was slapstick comedy, no one grew up hitting people on the head with oversized mallets because they saw Tom and Jerry do it and no one grew up to be a rapist because of Pepe Le Pew and his over inflated sense of narcissism.
By the way if you ever watched any Pepe Le Pew cartoons you would know the stupid skunk usually suffered a LOT for his amorous advances

@LenHazell53

Don't tell me to grow up. The other cartoons do not star a male who relentlessly assaults and pursues females for "romance" aka sex.

"Rape culture is a culture where social attitudes and institutional systems treat sexual assault as normal, trivial, or even expected, thereby enabling sexual assault to be committed with more frequency and without consequence. "
[mindbodygreen.com]

As a small woman who has been grabbed, assaulted, and eventually raped in 2007, I am sick of men like you who trivialize women's concerns.

"You look like a victim," a man told me on a first date in 2019. I felt appalled.

"I don't feel like a victim!" I retorted. "I dress modestly and walk fast with good posture and confidence, constantly scanning around. I never look at my phone or in my purse while walking."

"Because you are are thin, you look easy to grab," he replied. His words chilled me to my core.

@LenHazell53 I see both sides on this. In defense of the cartoon, i think they were meant to give lessons. Pepe was the embodiment of how not to attract a woman let alone behave thusly. Much like Snidely Whiplash. Not meant to be an attractive character.

I also get the I can't get away, as I have had a few dance partners I couldn't disconnect myself from without a fight to get loose.

@LiterateHiker You know nothing about me, but obviously have a very low opinion of men in general. Well I have two daughters who I have brought up to NEVER be a victim of anyone, who loved cartoons when growing up, get on well with men, an havfe a sense of humour.
Your problems are your problems, stop being a victim if you don't want people to tell you look like one, if a man hassles you tell him to piss off, if that does not work kick him in the nuts, same goes for if a woman hassles you, one of my daughters looks very masculine and is hit on because of her sartorial choices by gay women often, some are just as bad as men. People are on the whole fine, but there will always be bastards of every sex and gender, and there are laws to protect people from them.
Going about hating on cartoons is not going to help society, it is going to make you look like an idiot, or will you try ringing the police because you sensibilities were hurt by a 75 year old cartoon skunk.

I'm generally neutral or worse on these issues, but I remember seeing a Pepe LePew cartoon within the last 5 years and was impressed with being uncomfortable with what was being depicted. That level of sexual aggression should not be shown as amusing, and could only have been rendered within a societal context that tolerated abusive machismo.

The only lesson I remember taking away from those cartoons, if any, was "men (or males?) are idiots around females." He was also a jab at the supposedly suave and debonair Frenchman, who, I suppose, in that time people perceived as needing to be taken down a peg.

As a much older me, who had not thought about those specific cartoons in years, the takeaway is "horny males are idiots." But, again, it's so over the top that it's hard for me to see it as endorsing rape. It's pointing out what a fool the character is in believing he's irresistible, when he's clearly not. Pepe is a metaphor for every guy (hell, every person) who has chased after someone who's not their match, but was determined that they were, and that they would see it in time.

@racocn8 and then mocked it?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581173
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.