Agnostic.com

4 10

LINK TX Paper Erases Son’s Husband from Mom’s Obituary: It’s “Contrary to God’s Word” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

TX Paper Erases Son’s Husband from Mom’s Obituary: It’s “Contrary to God’s Word”
By Hemant Mehta
March 16, 2018

When a woman named Brenda Light passed away last month, her son Barry Giles sent an obituary to a local Texas newspaper, the Olton Enterprise.

As with any obituary, it mentioned her still-living family members and their spouses, saying in this case, “Those left to cherish her memory include her son, Barry Giles and his husband, John Gambill of Dallas.” When the piece was published, however, John Gambill‘s name was nowhere to be found.

That’s because the paper’s publisher, Phillip Hamilton, happens to be a Baptist pastor who thinks same-sex marriages are an abomination.

snytiger6 9 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"That's because" ever seen an obit with inlaws in it anyway? no

I suspect the spouses of other siblings wouldn't have been left out.

@snytiger6 i don't think they are generally included?

I would ask for my money back.

Yes, I would too.

Christian Bigotry and Discrimination are Alive and Thriving still in Texarse I see.
Shame, Shame, Shame and Shame again upon the Olton Enterprise, its Publisher, Owner/s and its entire Staff imo.

Simply remove the word "husband" and call the man a "partner" or something. "Barry Giles and partner John Gambill" should do it.

pretty sure ol Barry has a diff agenda though lol
obits don't include inlaws anyway!

@bbyrd009 Some obits to include sons or daughters in law. The person who pays for it shoudl decide what is in it.

Why should that be done?
Is it NOT still discriminating anyway?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.