Agnostic.com

6 3

Suffering...embrace or give it the boot...

The principal cause of suffering is craving. Once craving is eliminated, much suffering will be eliminated. Still more suffering will be eliminated once ignorance is eliminated. Both craving and ignorance are equally powerful defilement's that cause suffering.

~ Ven. Henepola Gunaratana ~

I cannot agree completely with this statement...initially when read, the reader assumes all their cravings are wrong...suppose what the writer is really saying is this...You crave something...love, a change, contentment, joy etc...you look outside your life to find it...perhaps it's not ego craving..but rather your soul waking up in the bed you have made that is dead...a life of monotony...no movement...no desires no passion...just change your life...if you feel this way so do the others in the ego fed relationship you have created...pretending you are happy putting up a front, misguided loyalty to an empty photograph....letting your self down is worse than letting others down...it means they have become dependent on you for their happiness... every being is responsible for their own joy...so just walk away...no guilt... be open to the possibilities and find joy within, be happy...be with people who support the joy and see the world past all the pain that the ego driven people in power see and create...run because your life depends on it....create your own world and be in the world not a product of it.The_Librarian 2016

The_Librarian 4 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’d like to make sure you have a warm welcome to Agnostic.com. I can see already that I need to click that “Follow” button.

skado Level 9 Apr 21, 2018

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. This last year has been a lot of suffering for me, but I'm a better man now.

@Mortal Thank you for calling out that wretched phrase.

@Mortal Great. I learned something.

Illness is a craving? Injury is a craving? Give me a break.

I'll still say suffering, challenges, and heartache can build character, but I'm expanding my knowledge on this subject via this thread.

Get rid of craving, easier said than done.

Suffering can definitely exist without craving. Is it considered a craving that my constant, unanswered childhood prayer was that my mother wouldn't beat me that day, and my peers not notice me to bully me? Or that my dad, the only parent who cared, should have lived instead of suffering and dying from Pancreatic Cancer when I was 12, while the woman who physically and mentally scarred me for life was left with sole custody? She worked for CPS, so I had zero protection.

Don't agree you must suffer to find happiness. And craving leading to suffering? Disagree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.