Agnostic.com

7 9

LINK Atheists and believers have different moral compasses | Live Science

UAE. Illegal to be an atheist. Thought police.

Mooolah 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The devoutly religious don't need a moral compass, they have moral detour signs

If you ask me, then I'd say that Atheists, Agnostics, Non-Believers and the like derive their 'Moral Compass' from Compassion, Sympathy, Empathy, etc, towards others PLUS from instinctually knowing right from wrong rather that, as it seems to be, quite patently imo, as with the Believers it is IMPOSED upon them solely by the Belief System/s that they elect to follow.
For example, Christians follow the so-called 'teachings' of their holy book rather than, imo, listening to their conscience/s.
Though having said that, ever so many so-called 'Moral' Christians seem to have a case of 'Convenient Amnesia' when it comes to obeying the Commandments written in their holy book, don't they?

Fascinating article. I see the difference as being told to do the right thing by an outside source, or determining it to be the right thing by evidence and compassion. As long as it comes to the same (right) action, it usually makes no difference in the outcome. Is the manner of choosing (being told to - or discovering on our own) up for debate? I don't think it should be.

There are evil folks in both the religious and non-religious category. Being a believer in a higher power doesn't make anyone more or less compassionate. Being a human takes care of that, and being raised in a loving caring environment, etc.

As far as people labeling all atheists as being immoral, I would ask that broad category to be clarified by denominations of atheism. Most of us also consider ourselves to be humanistic, spiritual but not religious, free thinker, etc. So, we might believe in human ethics and morals, just not a supernatural higher power.

Most of us look at the big picture, and can decide for ourselves if following authority without question is smart, or if we feel better about following the rules of society by verifying for ourselves that it is the right thing to do. We may speak up if we think some of the rules of society are harmful.

Atheists and believers are all believers. Believers BELIEVE there is a God. Atheists BELIEVE there is no God. I am a proud Agnostic. I recognize the vastness of our universe and say it impossible to know about ... what ever there is. So Atheists are very different from Agnostics.

True as it has been argued endlessly here.

I disagree. I do not believe that there is no god. I know that nobody has ever produced any falsifiable evidence to support the existence claim of any god, and belief is irrelevant in that context.

One has to do with knowledge the has to do with belief the two do not relate

Yes and NO on that one I'm sorry to say.
Believers believe because they are taught that they must and MUST believe WITHOUT question as well.
Atheists, in my experience, have NO Belief that ANY God/s/Goddesses/Deities or the like EVER existed, instead hey have decided and deemed it be so by using their wits, knowledge, etc, etc, and TRUST in those rather merely 'function' on beliefs and hopes that they ARE correct.

That seems like a false equivalency to me. True, I can't "prove" there is no God but using the same logic it can't be proved there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny either. From everything I have learned about the world including the input of my senses the likelihood of the existence of any of the three aforementioned seems unlikely and implausible at best. So being an atheist for me is not really a matter of "belief" but just something I don't factor into making my way through the world. I just don't think about God except when it's brought up by others.

@Tejas Well, considering in my case, the 7 + years it took for me to gain my ThD ( Doctorate In Theology and Comparative modern Religions) PLUS the researches involved, VERY, VERY extensive I might add, then I, for one, would STATE, categorically, that NO evidences, tried, tested, irrefutable or even undeniable have EVER been presented or shown that ANY or ALL Gods/Goddesses/Deities ( call them as you see fit to) have EVER existed in Reality but ONLY ever in the minds of Human Beings.
Ergo, I can and will state, here and now with fullest of my convictions that I AM at least 99.999% ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that there is NO God.

@anglophone Actually, you seem to agree, not disagree. A simple "I don't know" is what you seem to be saying. How could we possibly know?

@anglophone, @Tejas Which one has to do with knowledge?

@think-beyond There is a difference between the agnostic position and the knowledge that there is no evidence, the former being "I am uncertain as to whether or not a god (usually the God of the Bible) exists" and the latter being an evidence based position.

@think-beyond Belief, a position claimed without supporting evidence, has nothing to do with knowledge.

@anglophone, @Tejas, @RobKings Perhaps we could say that agnostics feel AWE about the manifestation of the Universe or Universes, and even in a Nano sense about the seemingly infinity of small things like you and me and all our cells. I feel the mystery of how this all happened and the more I learn the more vast this reality becomes. OMG!!!!!! And then I go on with my life.

@anglophone, @Tejas, @RobKings, @Triphid You want proof. Just look in the mirror. Or what made those brains who wrote all your books you read for your degrees work? Do you take your life for granted? We live in a mystery. We don't have to figure it out. We just have to live. Unfortunately, all these know-it-all religious people gum up the works.

@think-beyond I have never asked for proof in anything except mathematics, liquor and numismatics. I agree with your point about the know-it-all religious people.

I tried to be a full-fledge atheist for about ten years, but I couldn't square a few things and I enjoy having "beliefs". I believe in the component of spirituality. I believe in the POWER of belief - because I found in my personal experience that it works and can bring things into fruition or self sabotage. Belief is used in the psychological aspect too and there are bio-chemical reactions that do happen in our brain and body that can influence one's decisions and therefore whatever decision is made influences an experience in whatever direction. Does it all go beyond this earthly realm? I like to think so and so I do.

@TreeSpirit so basically you are saying you like your own delusions because they make you feel good, whereas reality does not?

@LenHazell53 Who is to say that someone's reality is based on delusions? You are not in their shoes and have no inkling of their experiences. What is right for you is right. What is right for them is theirs.I, for one, work on respecting other people's feelings and ideas, including yours.

Actually I agree with your take on blind faith. I share your indignation about the Georgia voting suppression. I see a good heart. This lady, TreeSpirit, has had experiences that you have not had. I had them, too. So I understand her. It's really okay to be open while we stand against the ignorance of blind faith and the harm it has done to the world.

@think-beyond word

@Tejas "One has to do with knowledge the (other) has to do with belief the two do not relate"
ha well or at least they shouldn't, huh? But irl i guess it doesnt work like that

@think-beyond
Reality cannot be based on delusions, because a delusion is the denial of reality.
Personal perceived experience of a delusion is not evidence of its validity, it cannot be tested or verified and is therefore simply indicative of what it is, a delusion.
What is right, is evidentially provable as right, (assuming you are using right to mean real) you are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.
I respect only that which has earned my respect, you are using respect as a synonym for tolerate, I tolerate only when I have no interest in correcting things that are harmless.
Religious/theist propaganda is not harmless, history proves that, it leads to war, persecution, torture and oppression, therefore I will neither tolerate nor respect it, but will call it out for delusion it is.

@LenHazell53 We are in agreement about religious/theist propaganda. Thank you for your reply.

@bbyrd009 on a technical level still no. People irl tend to sum it up to just atheist to avoid confusion

@Tejas generally speaking i find atheists to be some of the most intractable "believers" lol. The "has to do with knowledge" is a fail imo, bc ignorance

@bbyrd009 I like to think I don't "believe" in anything without evidence.

@think-beyond I seek to educate myself because I want to and "Knowledge IS no real burden to carry around with you."
Imo, NOT learning is a complete waste of time and life as well.

, other facets@Triphid The wonderful thing about knowledge in this vast world is that there is no end to it. No matter how much knowledge we obtain, there will always be more to learn. Also, for every thing we learn, there is always more to the story, other facets, and even opposites that are just as valid. In addition, there are many ways of applying ones thinking. As someone in the arts, I find that thinking within an alpha state yields different results than the usual mental activity. However that said, since our world is so vast and no one can learn everything, we all decide what area we wish to explore. In that we are all different in our choices. So I respect these choices. Being open to the different accomplishments of others enriches my own world while I continue my own journey. Hats off to you. I'm sure you have learned so much or great value. While you were doing that, I was mesmerizing crowds with what I have learned through my gifts. This experience has opened me up to vistas that probably would be foreign to you...and that's okay in my view for I know the time and effort it took for your accomplishments.

@Tejas The question is: What constitutes "evidence?" For me life, itself, is evidence. The precise way the universe, or the planet, or our bodies work is evidence. Science is evidence. One does not have to look for some unexplainable miracle to find evidence. However, the mistake we make is to think that any Grand Designer can ever be tangible. We just have to live and whatever truth we can make out of living is all we can get. And that's a lot. So for me, as an agnostic, I am open. I live in the "I don't know."
I do not believe there is a God and I do not believe there is no God. I heard a definition of God. It is "ALL THAT IS." And that "ALL" is vaster than vast. That is very different from the terms people here are dealing with.

@Tejas "I like to think I don't "believe" in anything without evidence"
i guess everyone likes to think that prolly?

I'm atheist and agnostic, I don't believe in a god, but I do believe people can be good and moral without believing in gods. So, I'm a believer in good, as the AHA refrigerator magnet says.

Contrary to public perception, Athiests do have a moral compass. What a stunning revelation/ Instead of following a dogma essentially passed down by 2000 year old sheep herders;as we all know, the paragons of virtue, Athiests take responsibility for their own ethics and morals. The history of catholics vs protestants is a sea of blood.

Believers do not think that an atheist has a "moral compass" and they think this way because they got theirs from their god. On the other hand, as an atheist I do whatever I want as long as I'm not hurting anyone. A believer might do the same thing without regard for others and later simply ask for forgiveness.

That forgiveness thing is pretty handy

@Canndue No, it is not. Forgiving is often simply a licence to commit more crime without fear of consequence.

@LenHazell53 yes, that was my point

That there are more analytical thinkers among atheists than among believers does not surprise me in the slightest.

Is that supported by facts?

@Canndue I refer you to the original article.

@Canndue It seems obvious, how many people do you know who come to the conclusion that an invisible intangible man in the sky, needs 10% of their money or else he will throw them in to a pit of eternal fire by a process of analytical thinking?

@LenHazell53 I’ve known many theists that are analytical thinkers. They merely suspend it when it comes to their religion.

I am always suspect when the premise of the argument is that one group is superior over another group. That is just a basis for prejudice and bias.

@Canndue If you suspend your analytical thinking when it comes to your religion is proof that you are, in fact, not an analytical thinker. IMO, no theist can call themselves an analytical thinker. Preposterous. Simply an insanity!

@Canndue I suspect you are defining superior incorrectly .
It is in no way bigoted to assert you are a superior chess play to the person you have just beaten
One can be superior in one or more field of achievement in a demonstrable manner, in this case analytical, logical and critical thinking, however that is no way indicative of the myth that is innate superiority of one group over another.
I however have never claimed atheists to be superior to theists, simply that they are more correct in their assessment of theism.

@LenHazell53 totally agree with you when referring to individuals and specific situations.
There are many on this site that posit that all atheists/agnostics are superior in some way, it’s that thinking that I feel is wrong.

@LenHazell53, @Healthydoc70 So, you assume being “analytical thinker” means you always make the correct decision. While analysis may tell me cheesecake would not be my healthiest dinner choice, doesn’t mean it won’t be selected....

@Canndue Choosing TO FOLLOW a supernatural dogmatic religion as legitimate is always the INCORRECT CHOICE.CHEESECAKE IS A STUPENDOUS FALSE EQUIVOLANCE.

@canndue false equivalence

@Canndue Your observation to @LenHazell53 and @Healthydoc70 that they assume being an analytical thinker means that correct decisions are being made is irrational. Your observation fails to consider critical thinking, cogent thinking, dispassionate thinking and personal preferences, and is itself a failure of analytical thinking.

@Healthydoc70 you, sir, are so wrong. Cheesecake is delicious

@Canndue True cheesecake is delicious, but as Chris Hitchens once famously said, "Religion poisons everything"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:584720
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.