Agnostic.com

6 13

LINK Letters From An American 03/29/2021

Today Derek Chauvin’s trial for the murder of George Floyd on May 25, 2020, began in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The death of Mr. Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, under the knee of police officer Chauvin, who is 45 and white, sparked dramatic civil unrest in the United States. The murder was captured on video onlookers who tried to intervene as Floyd cried for help, said he couldn’t breathe, called for his , and then died.

Today, prosecutors showed a 9-minute 29-second video of the murder, and told jurors to “believe your eyes.” They presented evidence from a 9 dispatcher who called a supervisor after seeing the event on a police surveillance camera. “Something was not right,” Jena Scurry said. The defense, in contrast, urged jurors to look at the scene in a larger context: the death happened in a part of the city where residents were hostile to officers, so Chauvin was concerned, and Floyd died not from the pressure on his neck but from underlying causes, including drug use.

In our adversarial justice system, each side tries to present the best case it can. The defense is doing what it is to do, that is, to defend the accused. The jury is supposed to remain impartial and be swayed the evidence. Remember that Boston patriot John Adams famously defended the British soldiers accused of killing five civilians in the Boston Massacre.

The Chauvin trial is expected to take about a month.

The other big news today is the coronavirus. The increasing of vaccinations appears to be racing against increasing infections to see which will win.

Today, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, warned that she had a sense of “impending doom” and begged people “to just hold on a little longer,” wear masks, and get vaccinated. President Biden recorded a message urging governors who have gotten rid of mask mandates to reinstate them and to slow down plans to reopen. “Please,” he said. “This is not politics…. Reinstate the mandate if you let it down, and businesses should require masks as well. A failure to take this virus seriously — precisely what got us into this mess in the first place — risks more cases and more deaths.”

read more at link

HippieChick58 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We need to see a possible death penalty at max, or several years in prison. Floyd was no saint but his manner of death was very disturbing and not necessary. I've noticed my neighbors flying flags again. It means they support the police and support Chauvin. Not me. I support the police but not in something like this.

lets delineate, lets carefully thread the needle. theres plenty of blame for those of the cops who are pigs. and plenty of blame for those of the blacks who are criminals, petty or viscious. lets bring both to justice. by the way..... which group has more black sheep per head?

how much fentanyl was in george's blood wnen he died? did he swallow the fentanyl to avoid a drug bust as he did the previous year? had he resisted arrest before the knee? had he been passing counterfeit 20 dollar bills? george makes a truly ridiculous cardboard saint. the self serving gratuitous testimony of the witnesses so far would have been laughed out of a real courtroom. i believe chauvin is clearly guilty. but george is not innocent. we will pretend he is, out of craven fear of riot and looting. the result will likely be the reverse

No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, deserves to die over a $20 bill - counterfeit or otherwise.

Not to mention, it has never been released whether the bill was counterfeit or not. The police didn't even examine the bill before they made the arrest. There has also been no confirmation that the bill in question was, in fact, counterfeit.
It's entirely possible that the bill has "disappeared", or wasn't counterfeit at all, and George Floyd was killed for NO REASON.

Further, there was no indication that Floyd had attempted to pass fake money before. Businesses in the area, who were familiar with Floyd, indicated they hadn't experienced much in the way of people passing fake bills, and they hadn't experienced that with Floyd.

This has NOTHING to do with anything except for the FACT that a cop knelt on a man's neck until he was dead, while other cops watched and did NOTHING to stop it.

Every other "argument" is bullshit and victim-blaming.
George Floyd was never a threat to any of these cops. Not even a little bit.
His past criminal history is 100% irrelevant.
He was murdered in the street by a cops who had no business having a gun and a badge.
Period.

@KKGator Hopefully the jury will feel just as strongly in the same conclusion. When they do I'll pay attention but until then it's all food for cable "news."

Chauvin needs to face the death penalty. Just my 2 cents.

Going in the officer(s) knew that community is hostile to police so of course it only makes sense to do something that will ABsolutely inflame the community. FFS! How white is that?!?!?
The history of American white fear of the other is long and sordid. What is truly disgusting is that in 2020 it was STILL a driving force to commit a murder and in 2021 to use their fear to explain a murder.

"Depraved Indifference", at least....in both cases

All of those POS officers should be convicted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.