Agnostic.com

9 8

LINK Appeals Court: Prof. Has Constitutional Right to Misgender Students for Jesus | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

In an upsetting and discouraging reversal, an appeals court in Ohio has ruled that an evangelical Christian professor has standing to sue the university that disciplined him for deliberately misgendering a student.

The ruling concerns Professor Nicholas Meriwether, who fell afoul of the LGBTQ inclusion policies at Shawnee State University after a student — referred to in court documents as Jane Doe — asked him to use the correct pronouns for her and stop referring to her with masculine titles like “Sir” and “Mr.”

snytiger6 9 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Communists were on the right track using a gender neutral title "COMRADE". Perhaps we need a gender neutral title here in the USA. Got any ideas?

Honestly, I think intentionally misgendering should just be countered with constant correction debate and argumentl. Threathening a prof job is problematic since tenure exists to protect those with ideas abhorent to others. Instead fight the right way, by constant debating and presenting of arguments. Not threathen financial and social harm. There lies a dangerous precedent.

Another reason for me to NEVER go to Ohio. Of course there's really no reason for me to go Ohio anyway. The judge in that appeals court needs removed though. Obviously judges by his Bible and not the law.

Well then I guess students have the right to misgender the Professor too.

I agree! Misgender those who misgender!

But honestly, im used to misgendering. If you hang out with Iranian students they are constantly misgendering lol

Imo, turn that arrogant, self-righteous PRICK into a Eunuch asap and see how he likes it.

Well, let's hope the college does something it can do - change that prick's schedule. Teach at 8am Saturday. And yes, there are 8am Saturday classes some places - I taught one for two semesters. That and those night classes that run till 9 or 10. Taught those too.

So a professor will not address a student as they have personally asked him to do. So the professor has chosen to disrespect the student's request because his own personal belief, well, God's belief he would argue, is that the person is not who they are. So we'll just go to court? Oh my.

Cruelty is the point with these bigots!

Extract: "In this more recent opinion, Circuit Judge Amul Thapar leaned heavily on the idea of intellectual freedom as a justification for disrespecting Doe’s identity:
Traditionally, American universities have been beacons of intellectual diversity and academic freedom. They have prided themselves on being forums where controversial ideas are discussed and debated. And they have tried not to stifle debate by picking sides. But Shawnee State chose a different route: it punished a professor for his speech on a hotly contested issue."

I don't see that intellectual freedom comes anywhere close to protecting hate-based abuse and public humiliation. Intentionally using the wrong pronouns instead of the students actual name clearly denotes bullying and hate-speech. Under the circumstances, I'd say the school should summarily fire the teacher, taking said action to avoid the identified risk of the school being sued by the student because the school allowed a hostile environment.

kinda surprised that the court seems to be going the opposite direction, myself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:586176
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.