Agnostic.com

7 16

LINK A Colorado Town Sold Public Property to a Boy Scout for His Christian Memorial | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

I posted earlier this month about how a 16-year-old Boy Scout named Michael Carlson had come up with a project to earn the rank of Eagle Scout… that turned out to be more controversial than he ever imagined.

He installed a memorial to honor veterans at a cemetery in the town of Monument, Colorado. He even got local donors to give $50,000 toward the effort. Even the city helped him out by modifying the space for his memorial — by removing grass and digging up dirt around the area.

How could that be controversial in any way?

Two reasons:

First, it was a Christian memorial that said “Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American soldier.” It was an obvious promotion of religion aided by the city itself.

Second, the memorial used imagery from the Armed Forces — the logos at the top — which aren’t allowed when it comes to promoting any kind of religious beliefs. (follos link for photo)

snytiger6 9 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Poor kid. His mind is stuck in that horrible cage of servitude. The city should've known better.

But this is Colorado we're talking about. The same state that sent Bimbo-bert to Washington.

Wrong way to honor vets

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 31, 2021

Highly illegal! They need to get Jesus out of this memorial in order to make it legal. Somebody will come along and change it.

That is astoundingly insulting to all soldiers of a religion other than Christian or nonreligious.

Plenty of other people have also been willing to give up their lives for others as well.

Firefighters comes to mind. Those teachers at Sandy Hook.

Just a big steaming slab of jingoistic bullshit is what that is.

Go do something useful for that badge kid, Like a wheelchair ramp so someone isn't homebound and can regain independence.

Well, there are two lies there. One is about Jesus and the other is that the American soldier dies for you. American soldiers dies for big business not for anyone or anything else.

i guess maybe its not so clear, that religion and politics are the same animal? I mean best of luck trying to get the one out of the other, don't get me wrong

Tear it down. Too bad kid, a better Eagle scout would have done some research. Plus, where the hell was his scout leader?

Is his scout leader a fundamentalist Christian?

@anglophone Could be

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:586179
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.