Agnostic.com

9 19

LINK Religion is a driving force behind the gender wage gap, study finds

I can't say this surprises me too much.

New research published in the Academy of Management Journal indicates that religion perpetuates the gender wage gap. The findings provide evidence that men tend to earn significantly more than women in societies with heightened religiosity.

“Management researchers have called religion ‘a benign and positive force in business.’ Because of that, we are seeing these policies that let religion in, but when you look at the management literature with a fine-tooth comb, there has been no scrutiny of religion and gender attitudes,” said Traci Sitzmann, an associate professor of management at the University of Colorado Denver and the corresponding author of the new study.

“I think it’s a little ironic that we haven’t questioned if there could be some negative implications for letting religion into the workplace.”

For their research, Sitzmann and her colleague, Elizabeth M. Campbell, examined data from the Human Development Report, Gallup Incorporated, and other sources. This allowed them to analyze not only the relationship between the gender wage gap and religiosity in 140 countries, but also test for potential mechanisms behind the relationship.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Figures that they would

I've actually had people ask me if I could be happy knowing I had a wife or girlfriend who made more money than I did. I think it is a very stupid question.

Me and my GF pool are money. Then we pay the bills and play with some of it.

Yes. I was taught in church that women are supposed to be quiet and sit in the back

Ah the good ‘ole days...

Religion is a driving force behind numerous societal ills. (But on this site, I'd be preaching to the choir.) Mostly, I just want religion out of my government and back into their churches.

Then can we nail the doors shut ?

@Fernapple Coated construction screws the resin sets up once they're in. 😁

Gender earnings gap, not gender pay gap. This has been debunked ad nauseum

True

My response to the findings is: no shit, Sherlock!

That wasn't hard to research.

You mean Patriarchy AND Religion go hand in hand????!!!

Sarcasm aside... Abraham’s particularly.

I agree that patriarchy and religion do go hand in hand but there is a gender earnings gap, not wage gap.

Not surprising at all. Religion's has a bad track record on treatment of woman.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.