Agnostic.com

14 11

Perils of hiking. I have an itchy, red rash all over my body.

The rash started four days ago on my left shin. The rash rapidly spread to my thighs, stomach, chest, arms, armpits, hands, neck and back. Want to scratch down to the bone!

This morning, two doctors could not figure it out. They sometimes see full-body rashes in kids, but not in adults. They prescribed a strong course of Prednisone steroid over five days to calm down the rash. They said it is NOT:

1. Bedbugs.
  2. Lyme disease (no bullseye rash).
  3. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (not in Washington State).

"While hiking, you may have picked up some kind of mite," the doctors said. "If it's not gone in a week, we'll give you a permethrin bath."

"You're not gluten intolerant, are you?" No.

A follow up appointment is scheduled in a week. Today I sprayed my hiking clothes with permethrin. It repels and kills ticks, mosquitoes and thirty-six other biting insects. (Not deer flies, darn it!) Lasts forty-two days or six machine washings.

NOTE: There was no poison ivy in the dry sagebrush hills where I hiked last week.

Photo: Early Spring in the Cascade foothills, April Fools Day, 2021

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How about a selfie with a Sasquatch?

Were you perhaps doing a frolic in some Poison Ivey ... 🤗

@phoenixone1

There was no poison ivy nor poison oak.

Life's surprises are fun. No? I'm glad you found a treatment and I'll also try to keep that advice in mind. Lack of ticks and poison ivy is a positive aspect of desert hiking but our negatives will kill you.

@rainmanjr

There are tons of ticks in desert environments, even in winter.

Yesterday I sprayed my hiking clothes and gaiters with permethrin insect spray. It repels and kills ticks, mosquitoes and thirty-six other biting insects. (Not deer flies, darn it!) Non-toxic, it lasts forty-two days or six machine washings.

@LiterateHiker Very good info. Thanks. I wonder about using an insect spray but I can't abide the chemical exposure so will keep that in mind. Had no idea we have ticks.

@rainmanjr

Permethrin spray is non-toxic. It's made from Chrysanthemum plants. Permethrin has been used on horses for decades.

@rainmanjr

Once it's dried, Permethrin spray is odorless.

@Vegan66, @Robert_2001, @BudFrank, @Cyklone, @OldMetalHead, @EarnestEccentric, @bobwjr, @MrDragon, @Mofo1953, @oldFloyd, @Davekp, @Mitch07102, @freedom41, @HippieChick, @BudFrank, @rainmanjr, @QuidamOutrepont, @RichCC

Good news! The first day of taking the Prednisone steroid reduced the itchiness and pain.

Yesterday, a warm bath with one cup of Epsom salts temporarily reduced the itchiness. This morning I took a warm bath with a cup of baking soda. The baking soda calmed the rash redness, pain and itchiness much more.

Must have picked up a mite during two hikes last weekend. Was wearing long sleeves and long pants. A bug crawled up my pant leg as I sat in dry grass eating lunch, and bit me on the left shin. A painful, itchy, full-body rash rapidly spread up my body.

I forgot to wear gaiters. Gaiters keep bugs from crawling up your pant legs. Also, gaiters prevent sharp pine needles, sticks and rocks from getting inside your boots.

Photo: Summit of Sauer's Mountain, 2015. Wearing short gaiters.

Good news, stay safe. 😊

Glad you’re better

I am glad you found out what it was and got it taken care of. Happy Hiking!

I hope that it is nothing serious .

Were you seen by Dermatology? Did it involve you head or face?

@Robert_2001

My regular doctor has to refer me to dermatology. He's gone for Spring break with his kids.

First, I want to see if the steroid does the trick.

@LiterateHiker Hopefully they will work.

@LiterateHiker Hope the prednisone works, that is a very powerful steroid.

Sorry to hear that! I hope it gets resolved soon

Good luck with the prednisolone, it's horrible stuff. I've found that a bath in epsom salts was the only thing that would calm down a full body itchy rash I got from a drug allergy (vancomysin). A cup of epsom salts in a bath as hot as you can handle and stay in it for 20 mins. Google it. Or in my case, 4*5min stretches. Towel dry but don't wash it off afterwards for a few hours. The relief was almost immediate and two baths a couple of days apart fixed the problem, whereas the creams and medicines they gave me in hospital didn't touch it.

@Cyklone

You're right! Epsom salts bath calmed down the itching.

THANK YOU.

Used rubbing alcohol for mites as a kid works and can prevent infection . it's the right time of year

Could be poison oak or poison ivy. Never know, it could be that simple .

@MrDragon

There is no poison ivy in dry sagebrush hills where I hiked last week.

Eastern Washington.

@LiterateHiker what about poison oak??

@MrDragon

No poison oak, either.

@LiterateHiker Okay, then I don't have a clue. Hope they find out or that you'll just recover on your own.
Good Luck.

Get well soon!

You just have all the luck don't you, I am hoping that you are able to solve your problem very soon, it's got to be terrible. And now on the light side, once you are over this, have you ever considered maybe using some of that shrink wrap they put on boats in the winter as an undergarment? 🙄🤔😉

@oldFloyd

Took my first dose of Prednisone in the parking lot.

@LiterateHiker I sincerely hope it works well. 😊

If it's Poison Ivy get treated sooner than later. I had a dose of it a few years ago. I didn't get a chance to use anything for a few days and it took 6+ months to get rid of. Multiple flare ups in unexpected spots. I empathize. Good luck 🙂

@Davekp

I'm sorry you got poison ivy. Sounds awful.

There is no poison ivy in dry sagebrush hills where I hiked last week.

Eastern Washington.

Feel better soon...

@Mitch07102

Thank you, Mitch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.