Agnostic.com

4 11

LINK Derek Chauvin's trial shows police reform needs to come from cops

Holding bad officers accountable is the only way to reform policing. And officers are going to have to lead the way.

No matter the outcome of this trial, this in itself is a powerful indicator of a few things: By showing the world on national television that cops are willing to call out other cops when they see misconduct, it shows that things can, in fact, change. It also reinforces the necessity of seeing progress inside police department culture itself — not solely by forces of external pressure, even if it’s a result of it.

As a former New Jersey sergeant, DeLacy Davis, told NBC News, a senior police official choosing to call out an officer instead of holding allegiance to the force could be the tipping point in this country’s long battle with police brutality that we so desperately need.

The challenge, of course, is to translate this accountability beyond the case of Floyd so that we don't keep finding ourselves here, fighting for justice in the death of another unarmed Black man who never should have died at the hands of an institution sworn to protect and serve.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Baby steps , need real reform

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 10, 2021

The police testimony in this case gave me some hope. However I immediately started to wonder what kind of backlash that police officer was going to receive after the trial.

Exactly this..

Certainly police are involved with policy affecting behavior, but my recall is that police supported the findings and intentions coming out of Obama's Police Commission. Trump put all the reforms on hold, indefinitely.

[en.wikipedia.org].

[cedar.wwu.edu]

Obama did Nothing to curb Police violence. Remember Trevor Martin? Obama said and did Nothing, neither did the DOJ..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.